Inside the world's quietest room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ha - this reminds me of the one I used to work with at Intel, in Dupont WA (building demonished). Originally located directly across from the shock and vibration test lab, it was unusable during normal work hours - or at least when this other testing was happening.

I suggested we have it moved to the other end of the building. I also suggested that it be suspended upon an array of poly pads, designed for vibration isolation. The noise floor dropped far enough that we had to buy new B&K 1/2" mics to measure it. Of course, was best at night outside of normal work hours. Unsure if it was in the league of the Microsoft chamber, but it was the best at Intel. Unlike Microsofts' it had a solid floor.

There was an earthquake back then and in the rush to duck and cover, it didnt occur to me to go see if the chamber was moving relative to the floor upon its suspension padding. I was right there when it happened.

To think I was the acoustic measurement guy early in my career. I vaguely remember measuring a speaker in there, but that was coming up on 25 years ago. I was listening to these big Acoustat panels at the time, I guess I never got around to haul one in and measure it -

I wanted to be an automated test programmer and acoustic measurement was only one of many test procedures that could be automated, so I left the position in pursuit of that. Programming the package drop test machine was fun, along with years of power supply and thermal / airflow testing.

Last edited:
I visited the chamber in building 87 before it received its world record title. Apparently, another chamber now holds the title. Having been to many other good chambers as well. I can honestly say, you really can't tell the difference between good chambers without measurement gear. Of course, all chambers have a lower frequency of effectiveness and you can sense this in smaller chambers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.