John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In art, and 'the art of electronics' is actually to some extent an art, some people's preferences seem to have appeal to many other people. Very hard to say why some art is deemed great and other art middling, although we can always think up imagined reasons. Something about how it registers in the brain, it would seem.
Most often it depends on the frame. ;)

Sin08: I hadn't heard of it either, but I can see two sources of that. The first is that input power supply disturbances that are not suppressed, will also show harmonics of that unsuppressed disturbance in the output. The other source would be source disturbances that are not suppressed because of not zero Zout. These will also created harmonics, theoretically.

I will see if I can measure them in due course, but they will be at an extremely low level, so as to the relevance???.

I'm having trouble imagining what the envelope of a chaotic waveform means from an audible perspective. Calculating the envelope is a (highly) non-linear operation that introduces new frequencies. Differencing the envelopes in this case produces a spectrum from DC to Nyquist. What is the significance of that?

To all, I'm not sure if this means anything. I was taking the idea that a perceptible amplitude envelope could be created using the example of two sine waves, for instance, and then looking at a more complex waveform. In fact if the difference in amplitude envelope is all due to the varying magnitude of the Gibbs ringing it probably is not audible.

Last edited:
Sin08: I hadn't heard of it either, but I can see two sources of that. The first is that input power supply disturbances that are not suppressed, will also show harmonics of that unsuppressed disturbance in the output. The other source would be source disturbances that are not suppressed because of not zero Zout. These will also created harmonics, theoretically.

I will see if I can measure them in due course, but they will be at an extremely low level, so as to the relevance???.

Those would fall under "line regulation" and "output impedance" both as a function of frequency. No "regulator linearity" involved in both.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
To all, I'm not sure if this means anything. I was taking the idea that a perceptible amplitude envelope could be created using the example of two sine waves, for instance, and then looking at a more complex waveform. In fact if the difference in amplitude envelope is all due to the varying magnitude of the Gibbs ringing it probably is not audible.

Why draw any conclusions like 'probably is not audible? Why guess one way or the other?

It probably IS audible. :)

THx-RNMarsh

Scott, I have some concerns regarding on how the Hilbert transform would work in this particular discrete case; could you please pass the two time limited sines through an ideal Hilbert transform filter then check if the result z(t)=x(t)+jH(x(t))is exactly an analytic signal (no negative frequencies, or if the result is exactly in quadrature with the original)?

You lose nothing by ignoring his witch hunts.
It is enough that someone he hates has said something for him to take the opposite side. A unique party, of course.
Here, he strangely puts on the boots of a behavior usually attributed to audiophiles: the more expensive the better.

We now still have to analyze the influence of the feedback loops from regulators on the way the sound of the circuits they supply is affected.

Down, T-E.

Scott, I have some concerns regarding on how the Hilbert transform would work in this particular discrete case; could you please pass the two time limited sines through an ideal Hilbert transform filter then check if the result z(t)=x(t)+jH(x(t))is exactly an analytic signal (no negative frequencies, or if the result is exactly in quadrature with the original)?
This is easily accomplished by manipulating the coefficients of the FFT of x(t), eliminating negative frequencies in the process, then taking the inverse transform to get z(t).

This is easily accomplished by manipulating the coefficients of the FFT of x(t), eliminating negative frequencies in the process, then taking the inverse transform to get z(t).

Of course, but that's not the process I was looking for. I wonder if the (cumulative?) numerical errors are involved in the process. What I described is a fancy (numerical) way to remove the negative frequencies.

Last edited:
Everything that comes through will also come through with their harmonics as far as they are created. Its an amp, you know.

So you think about a voltage regulator, considered as an amplifier with (say) -100dB gain (aka "line regulation"), that will distort the input (line) perturbations superposed over DC. Now, that's a fancy metric I have never heard about, and I cannot imagine any relevance.

Last edited:

Yes, that is the exact form of the Python/SciPy Hilbert() function and how it is computed. In the case of a complex music signal this could be a misapplication, I have been using it recently it with sweeps or tones to extract AM/FM effects in LP reproduction were it works very well.

Yes, that is the exact form of the Python/SciPy Hilbert() function and how it is computed. In the case of a complex music signal this could be a misapplication, I have been using it recently it with sweeps or tones to extract AM/FM effects in LP reproduction were it works very well.

Sorry, I don't know about SciPy, I thought the Hilbert transform is calculated from definition (like Mathematica does) not using directly the fundamental Hilbert transform result.

I find the result you got very strange and hard to justify on any mathematical foundation. If I remember correctly, there is a theorem that clearly states that the Hilbert transform of the product of two signals with non overlapping spectra (what you did here, I guess) is equal to the product of the Hilbert transforms of the two signals, the foundation of demodulation, otherwise the Hilbert transform is a linear operator by definition. Your result suggests that an ideal modulation/demodulation process may lead to distortions, which makes me rather uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.