Free, lossless image editor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I would like to do: a simple concantenation, splicing, etc. of 2 or more digital images (photographs) together (say side-to-side), without loss of quality, so that they can be commercially printed, using free software.

I have tried with software like MS Paint and cut and paste using the Clipboard, but somewhere in the process the picture quality is lost, not sure where.

I'm sure I could Google this, but also waste a lot of time on software that can't quite do this, or nagware, etc.

What I would like to do: a simple concantenation, splicing, etc. of 2 or more digital images (photographs) together (say side-to-side), without loss of quality, so that they can be commercially printed, using free software.

I have tried with software like MS Paint and cut and paste using the Clipboard, but somewhere in the process the picture quality is lost, not sure where.

I'm sure I could Google this, but also waste a lot of time on software that can't quite do this, or nagware, etc.

Are you saving them as JPEG’s (progressively lossy depending on the level of compression) or as TIF’s (lossless compression) ?

leadbelly,

OK, it looks like not enough information here about your workflow going from start (input) to finish (output) to either tell what you are doing, which way you are doing it, and why or what you are doing it for.

I can tell you are a bit frustrated, but start from the beginning and I will talk you through. If need be, put up an example of what you mean.

And yes, GIMP is very good, but you may well be able to do what you want in MS Paint.

ToS

Last edited:
leadbelly said:
I think Paint loses quality when it saves using a lossy format such as jpeg; as a simple tool it doesn't let you choose a picture quality i.e. compression ratio. However, for editing you can go down to pixel level if you have the patience.

I have used Gimp. It takes a bit of learning but seems to be able to do pretty much anything you might want.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I think Paint loses quality when it saves using a lossy format such as jpeg

It is possible to set JPEG parameters for little or no loss. PSP7 has a slider 1-99 and very low numbers give no visible loss.

But MS PAINT on Win7 does NOT have any way (I see) to set a JPEG compression/loss level. It may be set pretty lossy to save file-size.

If the images were strict <256 color, GIF would compress without loss. But "photographs", faces or cars or landscape, come out ugly in 256 color.

Pixlr is a free image editor and I think you can use it live on-line. I have not explored it; I found it clunky on my Chromebook.

If you're willing to throw a little cash at it, Affinity Photo is supposedly very good. I use Affinity Designer for illustrations (vector drawings). I think it cost me $50. I like Designer a lot!

Slightly more expensive is Photoshop Elements. It's a one-time purchase (i.e. not a subscription service) and will set you back a little over $100. Make sure to buy from an authorized reseller as Adobe only allows something like three installs per install code.

If free is a requirement, I hear GIMP is where it's at. I've used it a couple of times over the past 10-15 years and found it frustrating to use. I much prefer Photoshop.

Tom

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
JPEG is not suitable for charts/plots like many of us post. GIF or PNG are examples of lossless formats. GIF has lower colour resolution with smaller file size.

When you combine them, don't alter their size. If you do, try to keep it to multiples of 2.

OK, in my workflow, I shoot in 16bit RAW. After elementary processing in Lightroom, I export as 16bit TIF into Photoshop for all the usual contrast/chroma corrections, compositing and retouching all in 16bit. Then save a master copy in 16bit as ‘the artwork’. If I want to make print from the artwork, I reload and convert to 8bit after resizing and sharpening prior to output as an inkjet print. If I want to then send a copy of an artwork as an email attachment, or to post up on a webpage, then I will save as an 8bit JPEG in sRGB colourspace- minus the colourspace file header, in whatever level of JPEG lossy compression necessary. In this way, I rarely if ever lose out on functional image quality.

Alternatively, if I started out with an 8bit compressed JPEG and did as just described, I would end up with just a horrible crunchy mess.

So, JPEG is an absolutely brilliant way to end, but not a very good way to start.

ToS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.