Ugly black boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dunno. Having discussed the 'look' for the stereo SWMBO has decreed that I can build whatever I want as long as it's in black boxes.

In my house, black is de rigueur for all audio equipment. This is down to my wife who doesn't really want to see the stuff!

Maybe the black nondescript boxes have the lowest 'noticeability' and therefore the highest WAF. Or maybe silver or gloss white are just not in vogue at the moment.

It used to be that HiFi manufacturers had a consistent "house" design that was recognizable. In the 1970's you could spot a Marantz or H/K or Pioneer or Yamaha or Sansui amp/receiver from across the room, they were distinctive. Many of them were also silver rather than black, but they had design cues that made one brand visually distinguishable from the others. These days there seems to be less of that.

I remember when there were different designs but now it all seems to have morphed into everything looking the same. Obviously how an amp sounds and performs is more important than how it looks, but how much more would powder coat silver cost over powder coat black in the scheme of things?

I recently started looking around at options to "dress up" the cases I'll be building some pre-amps, control electronics etc. into. I am specifically looking at using bamboo sheets to use as front and side cladding,

I'd be really interested to see the results of your work. The idea of a 'japanese style' case actually sounds quite appealing!

I like black boxes. They remind me of the excellent Watkins Johnson surveillance equipment I used to collect. I still own units like most of the older types below. And WJ is still alive and well. Unfortunately only the Government can afford their current stuff.

Attachments

• Watkins-Johnson-WJ-9026A.jpg
    Watkins-Johnson-WJ-9026A.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 221
  • wj_8730a.jpg
    wj_8730a.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 244
  • WJ-8617B-26.jpg
    WJ-8617B-26.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 201
  • WJ.jpg
    WJ.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 198
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
What's wrong with plain black boxes?
In the same vein what's wrong with huge banks of flashing LED lights?
I had a choice a few decades ago to get my Rotel amps in black or polished silver, I chose black even tho the silver units were discounted because sales on the silver versions were slow. I want my "Stuff" to disappear and black against a black background is the best way to do that. Now if I had lots and lots of money and wanted to display my wealth and good taste then perhaps statement works of art like Halcro would be worth investing in

Many audiophiles believe that mains and speaker cables have an effect on how an amplifier sounds. Is it possible that the shape, material and colour of an amplifier cabinet could also have a similar effect?

I am sure it does. Not entirely sure if it can heard, or could be measured. Nice if it could. Definitely something to talk about. :nod:

Colour seems to have a real affect on the sound of guitar effects pedals, though. I have seen custom built, limited edition boutique style fuzz boxes, (hand painted by toddlers), and they sell for huge sums of money. Guitarists know about these things. Most have really bizarre names, such as 'Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man Deluxe With Hazarai'. I have one myself, and it sounds great. The silk screened psycho 60's paint job is terrible ...... yet strangely absorbing while shoe gazing.

Alright, I confess. I too prefer black boxes, with added Bakelite chicken head knobs if possible. ToS

Last edited:
radiosmuck said:
Many audiophiles believe that mains and speaker cables have an effect on how an amplifier sounds. Is it possible that the shape, material and colour of an amplifier cabinet could also have a similar effect?
Could the cabinet affect beliefs? Yes, probably.

Could the cabinet affect the actual sound? Possible, but less likely unless something unusual has been used such as unscreened/unshielded wood allowing in RFI.

Does that mean you would be happy to plug your guitar into one of these, or is the design a tad too industrial for your liking?

Hahaha!........actually, that looks great to my eye. When I look at my menagerie of amps and pedals, I have to remind myself it doesn't matter what it looks like, what it's made of, or what it costs, it's what it sounds like that really matters. ToS

I was having a wander around the local retail 'hifi' shop today and couldn't help but notice that every amp of every kind on the shelf (HT, Power etc) comprised a bulky black box with maybe a black plastic display for the top half.
My local hifi shops are not like that. Perhaps visiting next town's hifi shop would help, I guess?
Is there no value in having an aesthetically pleasing design?

Assuming that the large retail sector / manufacturers have carried out market research ad nauseum, does that imply that the general population doesn't care for anything but the ubiquitous black box?
For decades I've heard that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I'll have to agree with that because a guy I know thinks a woman he saw at a coffee shop is hot but then when I turned around to see who he was talking about, I was like, "Hot? Are you serious? :boggled:"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.