Global Warming/Climate Change hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in ground zero for climate change irony. Calgary is Canada's Houston; you can imagine how much climate change denial goes on here. The irony lies around the fact that a lot of oilsands is extracted using thermal techniques, not only mining. So every time I hear one of my acquaintances in thermal recovery go off on the CO2/temperature argument, I have to shake my head and wonder if I should bother explaining that the answer is the same as what their coworker reservoir engineers use to relate oil to steam.

Last edited:
Facts? Didn't you notice the FACT that Arctic climate warming is simply exploding since 40 years? Didn't you notice already +10 degrees Celsius Arctic temperature ANOMALIES, record-low sea ice extent and rapidly vanishing glaciers aroud the world? THESE are facts. Would you like to bother yourself to think about the reasons for this? We humans need to finally take the responsibility of this situation and stop to fool ourselves that it is not our fault.
Indeed.
So much so, that for the first time in History, Russians can ship goods from the Atlantic to the Pacific and viceversa through the Arctic North Sea.
_103139226_container_ship_640-1x-nc.png

Now fully free of ice for 2 Months in the year, and the rest is such a thin ice crust that normal ships (think container ships) can go through it.
And that residual ice layer is growing thinner year by year, fully disappearing by 2040.
Which will change shipping economics big time, think saving 4000 miles on the Rotterdam-Korea/Japan route, go figure, by not going through Suez canal.

Maersk line is sending its first "unaided" container ship through it (previous trips still needed icebreaker help at 2 or 3 points along the route).
Maersk sends first container ship through Arctic route | Reuters
The Arctic voyage by the 3,600 20-foot container capacity Venta Maersk is the latest step in the expansion of the so-called Northern Sea Route which is becoming more accessible to ships as climate change reduces the amount of sea ice.
:rolleyes:
Notice this comes from Reuters and is stick-to-the-fact plain news about a cargo ship route, nothing beyond.
the route is a positive sign for Russia, which hopes this could become a mini Suez Canal, cutting sea transport times from Asia to Europe.
“A well-respected company like Maersk sending a container ship through the Arctic, definitely signals there’s something there,” Malte Humpert, a senior fellow at U.S.-based think-tank Arctic Institute, said.
Approppriately, first cargo is mostly:
frozen fish and other refrigerated and general cargo.
:p
Yes, Audio knowledge does not automatically imply about Earth's climate knowledge and we should stop discussing it here.
Hey, this is Lounge, :)

People will become believers after it's too late. Until your fishing village is under water, it's not our problem. It a long-term strategy that must be undertaken, but sadly most people simply do not approach issues like that. What's good for me today is all that matters. :)

What can humans do to change / reverse the global temperature rise and fall?
Let's assume for this argument, that it's not man-made. If we know, from empirical evidence that the sea water is warming and more importantly rising, then take strategic actions to mitigate the effects. If you can't stop it from happening then meet the challenge head on! I'm not a climate guru, but starting to build seawalls in the most vulnerable places, relocate from low-lying wet-lands areas, elevated roadways in lower areas seems like places to start. Maybe stricter building codes in hurricane prone areas, etc. etc. These are mitigating steps, since there appears to be (at least in this group) no consensus as to the real cause. If you understand the cause we may be able to reasonably engineer a solution, or change a few habits to help ward it off or slow the progression.

Be sure it won't happen over night, nor is anyone suggesting that it will. It won't be cheap, nor easy either.

I've found out over my life time that almost all projects are more successful if carefully, and methodically planned. Ignoring a problem does not magically make it go away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.