Asperger Syndrome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not suggesting there are members with Aspergers on this forum but it would make for interesting discussion?

Note that Asperger's Syndrome is no longer a diagnosis - at least not in North America. In the DSM-V, it was lumped in with Autism Spectrum Disorder, which as the name indicates is a spectrum that ranges from mild (what would previously have been considered Asperger's) to severe.

I don't recall if it's still in the ICD-10 (used outside North America).

But you learn that many of the "labels" are essentially made-up arbitrarily by a small cabal of self-appointed experts.

Rather than relying on popular books and Wikipedia entries, I suggest looking at how the various psychological scales are developed and tested. A lot goes into the development of a reliable scale (i.e. instrument for measuring a psychological construct) and the scales are tested through years of real-life testing and research.
Take personality testing as an example. Modern scales (such as the "Big Five" 5-factor model or the HEXACO 6-factor model) have stood the test of time. HEXACO provides reliable results across time. It works well across various cultures as well, which is no easy feat. It shows good inter-item correlation and the six facets of personality that it measures are almost orthogonal, thus supporting the notion of six separate facets.

Claiming that's the arbitrary work of a self-appointed expert is rather ignorant.

That's not to say there isn't garbage out there. Don't get me started on the Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory, for example. There's no scientific support for it and the little evidence that does support the model is published by the Meyers-Briggs Foundation. Yet, companies - including engineering companies - use it for hiring decisions.

I can't speak specifically for the PCL-R (which is where you aimed your criticism to start). I do know that psychopathy is not a diagnosis in the DSM-V, though it was considered. It could be because a diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder was considered a better fit than a separate "psychopath" diagnosis for those who score high on the PCL-R.

Tom

Note that Asperger's Syndrome is no longer a diagnosis - at least not in North America. In the DSM-V, it was lumped in with Autism Spectrum Disorder, which as the name indicates is a spectrum that ranges from mild (what would previously have been considered Asperger's) to severe.

I don't recall if it's still in the ICD-10 (used outside North America).

I had an old-fashioned shrink who still used DSM-IV, so I really have been diagnosed with Asperger's. I'm glad about that, because I think the average Dutch person has a far better (though still quite inaccurate) idea about what a person with Asperger's is than about what a mildly autism spectrum disordered person is. On top of that, I don't like the three-letter abbreviation of the Dutch term Autisme Spectrum Stoornis.

Many years ago I remember reading an article in New Scientist which was asking the question 'was Einstein autistic?'. It gave 8 symptoms of autism; I think I had 7 of them, to varying extents. Many physicists would have many of them; otherwise they could not do their job. I am a physicist.

The article also said that a common risk factor for autism was if both grandfathers were engineers. Both of my grandfathers were engineers.

I don't find it at all surprising that some on this forum are 'on the autism spectrum' and some have a formal diagnosis. I suspect that if I was growing up today instead of over 50 years ago I would probably have a diagnosis too.

I tend to interpret peoples' statements quite literally; I assume that they say what they mean and mean what they say. This sometimes leads to confusion, especially with my wife - who uses language somewhat more loosely.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. Don't get me started on the Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory, for example. There's no scientific support for it and the little evidence that does support the model is published by the Meyers-Briggs Foundation. Yet, companies - including engineering companies - use it for hiring decisions.

Tom

I do remember talking to HR when they made the whole engineering team do M-B that if they needed a test to work out the bleeding obvious then they weren't doing their jobs right. A few of them did agree. They then correctly guessed which pigeon hole I would end up in. But was better than a previous profiling test that was issued by head office, which had been translated from the original german via another language and half the people refused to take :).

As for me. I know I am socially awkward, do not suffer fools gladly and have various mildy obsessive traits. If I get really traumatised weird sh*t happens. But I'm not bothered with getting marked on a scale as I don't need fixing :).

I had an old-fashioned shrink who still used DSM-IV, so I really have been diagnosed with Asperger's.

Well... The DSM-V didn't see the light of day until 2013 (if I recall correctly), so if you were diagnosed before then, Asperger's would be appropriate.

Either way, doesn't change who you are.

On top of that, I don't like the three-letter abbreviation of the Dutch term Autisme Spectrum Stoornis.

Nice... :) That's up there with the initials of one of my professors of years past: Scott Theodore Dunham. Man. How unfortunate. :D

Tom

I do remember talking to HR when they made the whole engineering team do M-B that if they needed a test to work out the bleeding obvious then they weren't doing their jobs right. A few of them did agree.

Yeah... There is that. I also question using personality tests in hiring decisions. "At Mega-Corp we only hire personality X". Great way to ensure zero diversity, groupthink, low innovation, etc.

The test-retest reliability of the MBTI is basically a crap shoot. 56 % if tested within three weeks, if I recall correctly. I.e. 56 % of people tested three weeks apart show the same personality type on the two tests. 44 % have somehow miraculously changed personality between tests. That doesn't jive so much with the perception of personality being a relatively fixed property of a person. While it may shift over the course of one's life, it shouldn't change week-to-week.

Tom

I tend to interpret peoples' statements quite literally; I assume that they say what they mean and mean what they say. This sometimes leads to confusion, especially with my wife - who uses language somewhat more loosely.

My wife is incredibly vague, not holding much hope that that is going to change soon but at least she appreciates and understand my intense dislike of smelly things like air 'fresheners', most laundry detergents and many perfumes.

Hmmm, you guys are really making me think I am probably on the spectrum, although I don't know how much a diagnosis would change things at this point.

As has been stated, there is a WIDE range of behaviour and what appears to be a WIDE range of personal drivers for being on this forum; some I think are probably at least a little dark.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
In some ways, that's the point. It's a spectrum - we are all on it, somewhere... We will all have some traits - it only matters when you are at a location on said spectrum where you cannot cope with society at large, or otherwise find it difficult to live without help.

Charles Darwin said:
but at least she appreciates and understand my intense dislike of smelly things like air 'fresheners', most laundry detergents and many perfumes.
Me too! My wife is aware of my dislike for such things, but still baffled by it. I find that natural smells (derived from plants) are much to be preferred to artificial smells, but they are a lot more expensive. We have reached a compromise: one of those wood wick things was chosen and bought by me for her; I find it just about tolerable; she can barely smell it and wants something stronger.

My wife is not so much vague as misleading (to me, anyway). She has a habit of offering conjecture or rumour or assumption but phrasing it in a way which I would only use for proven or widely accepted fact.

Her: "Shop X is closing."
Me: "I didn't know that. Where did you see that?"
Her: "Well, there was a van outside and they were dismantling some shelves."
Me: "When will it close? What did the 'closing down' sign say?"
Her: "There wasn't a sign."
Me: "So how do you know it is closing? Maybe they are just upgrading their shelves?"
Her: "Well, maybe, but I thought they were closing."
At this point I have learnt not to protest about the misleading opening statement of the conversation, as she cannot understand why I would have said "I think shop X may be closing".

My wife keeps asking me things like 'Do you want us to do xyz now?' to which the honest answer usually is No when she really means 'Can we do xyz now?' to which the answer would usually be 'Sure'.
After all these years I still have to stop and think about what she means.
It is the same when I meet people and they say 'How do you do?'. If I'm relaxed and not careful I will go on and tell them exactly how I'm doing.

Shopping malls are hellish places btw. I only go into them if I need to be on the other side and it is raining.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
There is a category of questions asked by SWMBO* that I refer to as "does my bum look big in this" questions - where there is no possible correct answer... The only thing to do is run away....

*She Who Must Be Obeyed, for those single folk....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.