Condolences to our friends in Greece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Scott. I’m OK
That was an unprecedented situation.
Consider the area where all those people were trapped was around 10km squared. The number of dead goes up.
I have experienced how it is to be surrounded by fire. Not nice.
My condolences to the families who count their people.

George

My condolences to the Greek people as well. It is a sad happening.

More than an environmental tragedy, the wildfires - at least in the US - have been over-contained for decades. It is natural for wildfires to happen and containing them often causes the forest density to grow too high and then when one fire grows beyond handling capacity it has an enormous area to spread, being almost impossible to contain. There is a relatively large group of scientists dedicated to trip a big change in how fires are controlled. It is a paradigm change though.

My condolences as well.
I live in an area with frequent bush-fires. The firemen are very alert to any start of a fire that may reach inhabitance and to get people and animals away.
The victims in Greece must have been unaware of the extent of the fire such that their escape to the sea was blocked.
Very sad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.