Why chuckles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Tung-Sol tee shirts and notice like if I'm at grocery, Asian ladies always chuckle at my shirt. They also start talking to me.
What does Tung-Sol mean?

Attachments

• BB53E95E-F7BF-4A8D-86D3-63F7DB4659F6.jpeg
    BB53E95E-F7BF-4A8D-86D3-63F7DB4659F6.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 286
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The feedback from my wife's Vietnamese co-worker was: "It does not make sense in Vietnamese."
Maybe that's why they find it amusing?

"Tung-Sol was founded as Tung-Sol Lamp Works Inc. in Newark, New Jersey in 1907. Their early products were mainly geared towards the automotive market and included headlamps, pilot lights, and flashlight bulbs.
The trade name was formed from the first syllable of "tungsten" and the Latin word "sol" meaning sun."

Maybe un-intended, or some internal humour in the back room, but it does sound interesting that the name can also mean "Throw-Sun" in a somewhat roundabout way, and that their first products where lighting products.

Edit:
No harm in asking is there?
In some languages more intricate and hidden word-pun's are considered very funny, if you have to think about it for a bit it is more amusing. A more intelligent form of humour than the basic stuff.
They might be asking you about the buggy contents to sort of be polite, and show they are not just laughing at you.
Ask where they come from, it may give you an indication of what to search for to figure it out, if an outright question is not preferable.

Edit2:
Now I'm starting to second guess the "throw" bit, difficult to get the same meaning twice, it seems yet again there is some auto piece of crap that does not do it's intended job.

Edit3:
Google is watching me, after I wrote that it's a piece of crap, I got more alternate suggestions....
Just found that từng = ever. In Vietnamese. Maybe there are many more similar words when you change the letters to allow for changes and variations of letters between countries.

Last edited:
Maybe it's something with your.. ahem.. odd smile? :)

jokes aside, I recall the figure in your avatar being from an old movie, do you happen to know the name of it?

That avatar is me with my holloween mask and deacon hat a few years ago.
Freddy Krueger of course.

I've been tied up with that darn audio stuff.
Having fun with my tube opamp. Listened all day. The tubes coupled with modern semis just seem to sound better I think.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/320015-doa-discrete-op-amps-2.html#post5398281

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.