John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have you been hidding?
Hi, I'm back, not for long, I'll leave you in your reality now ;) I'm off to listen to my most famous piece being given that jazz lilt by my old pal Jelly Roll, always a retiring, humble fellow :rolleyes: YouTube

P.S. You would have liked him, he "invented jazz" you "invented" "motional feedback"/"mixed mode feedback"/"CMA"/"CFA" etc......etc.....

Last edited:
Perhaps the dust surrounding the old EEs protects their 5 CDs from the invasion of molds which seem to appreciate the metal layer of CDs even more than the coating of photographic lenses?
As I had a lot of CDs, they were stocked during some years in a friend's cellar, while I was immigrating in another country.

The dust and dirt here seems to feed mold very well. So does the paint on my house. As I recall, the CD metal is protected by a paint job, perhaps that is food?

And, contrary to what you may believe, not all EE's have 5 CD's...I have 6..

Jn

And, contrary to what you may believe, not all EE's have 5 CD's...I have 6..
I had noticed that a part of humanity remained in you.

To be a little more serious, the paint seems to protect the CDs more. The ones that were affected were those ones with only prints of texts and logos with serigraphy on it. It seems it is the metal coating those mushrooms delights.
Trying to recover them with some washing, they turn transparent in the places they were attacked. A pity. They promised us eternal life.

Last edited:
I had noticed that a part of humanity remained in you.

To be a little more serious, the paint seems to protect the CDs more. The ones that were affected were those ones with only prints of texts and logos with serigraphy on it. It seems it is the metal coating those mushrooms delights.
Trying to recover them with some washing, they turn transparent in the places they were attacked. A pity. They promised us eternal life.

I would have to assume there was a clear coat. The metalization IIRC was very very thin, fingerprints would have toasted it in short order.

Jn

He said a brickwall causes no shift. However, your data certainly did show such in time and in frequency. His data on the 5 by 20 shows centered on 20, whereas yours shows a real frequency shift. Why did your data show such? You mentioned a 250 tap, we were not told what KSTR used.
Adobe Addition's resampling filter, 192k-->44.1k-->192k, highest quality... a rather long FIR, suspposedly.

Do you see a "frequency shift" in the red trace as well? If so, you don't understand the peak of the 5x20 spectrum doesn't neccessarily coincide with the carrier when a bit of non-flat EQ is present (Bu2@19kHz, in this case), which is what happened with Hans' filter. Besides, filtering can *never* change a frequency, basic knowledge....

Attachments

• 5x20+filter.gif
    5x20+filter.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
In this thread you have to prove everything that you mention to prevent that nonsense is generally being accepted.
Here are two square waves in two amplitudes fed to the same Fir filter that I used earlier, in this case having amplitudes of resp. 1.0 Volt and 0.3 Volt.
After being processed by the Fir filter, I have multiplied the 0.3 Volt filtered version by 10/3.
And guess what, results are exactly on top of each other, proving that ringing has nothing to do with limited slew rate or whatever but only with the transfer properties of the used filter.

Hans

Fir Step.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.