John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I enjoy photography and imaging, we don't need to make analogies to it for audio.

OK Daniel

I am good with that, but I cannot make myself unaware of my own synergistic thinking. ;)

Oh yes, and by the way, a lens refracts light, a pinhole detracts it, and the difference is what enthrals me - enough.

ToS

I had a book, but wasn't impressed, so when there was an exhibition on I dragged my (not quite) wife to see it. THEN you understand what he was trying to do. Astounding standing in front of them.

Bill,

Yep, a 10x8” neg magnified x 4 = a 20x16” print, and uncle Ansel’s work was just amazing. BTW, apart from wet Gravure, it is very very difficult to reproduce a silverhalide print archival toned with selenium. Best in the flesh, as you discovered. :D

ToS

However he still was politely put still quite a jerk.
I know some who worked under him. That term is putting it very mildly.
T., ToS, photography is about artistic expression, it is an art. Sound reproduction has to reproduce recorded sound as perfect as possible, just to make an amplified version without modifications, it is an engineering. Modifications to be made by a mastering engineer. He is a "photographer", amplifier or DAC is not. You are totally wrong with your analogy and you are missing the basic premise of sound reproduction.
Well put. Better than I've explained to at least one of them. You know they will still repeat their confused notion time and time again.

Are you calling him something else? ...
Professeur Tryphon Tournesol I know is a learned gentleman, never used any unprintable words, even little kids love him. :D
... Well put. Better than I've explained to at least one of them. You know they will still repeat their confused notion time and time again.
Americans put ketchup on their cheeseburgers, I put hot chili sauce. To each their own. After all, audio is entertainment, not dialysis.

Last edited:
OK Daniel

I am good with that, but I cannot make myself unaware of my own synergistic thinking. ;)

Oh yes, and by the way, a lens refracts light, a pinhole detracts it, and the difference is what enthrals me - enough.

ToS

I shan't subject you to the fact that, ostensibly, my coursework/background is in optics/photonics within EE (although I am far more of a "confused" engineer than anything in particular), but I think you meant to write "diffracts", which may or may not detract. :p

Rest assured though, lenses do a lot of diffraction too.

It is interesting that so many audiophiles also love photography, myself included.

Took below photo November last year, walked the length of the beach. I can imagine the sounds of pain and a loud rata-tat-tat-tat sound from the left while those scrambling on the right having little chance to dodge the projectiles. A place of beauty turned into a place of hell - can you imagine if somebody recorded the sounds on that day?

[Nikon D850, Nikkor 16-35mm/F4]

Attachments

• OmahaBeach.JPG
    OmahaBeach.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 202
I shan't subject you to the fact that, ostensibly, my coursework/background is in optics/photonics within EE (although I am far more of a "confused" engineer than anything in particular), but I think you meant to write "diffracts", which may or may not detract. :p

Rest assured though, lenses do a lot of diffraction too.

Oh fantastic, then I am in good company! And OMG - a typo! :eek:

And I was secretly hoping I'm on your ignore list :rofl:. Or I am, but you can't resist peeking, like in a "blind" listening test :rofl:.
I was once fooled by his claim about the I-list. I learned not to take his words seriously. :no:
Almost non existent audio retail but we have Sinar Baja, one of world largest speaker manufacturer in Surabaya. My hometown is 60 km south of capital city Jakarta with close to 1.1 million population, some home electronic and appliance stores but no dedicated audio store.
Audio business is any company that sells audio electronics like this one.

... Audio business is any company that sells audio electronics like this one.
A few in Jakarta, one or two on other large cities. I heard home audio including home theater and karaoke supply businesses are not doing well. A bit better for car audio but not much. As I said, none in my hometown, only electronic and appliances businesses doing DVD players along with TV, refrigerators, cooking range and washing machine.

Dan, I did not laugh at you. I was asking a serious question. For you to think about. A question I always ask to myself first.
Ok perhaps I misunderstood your question, sorry. I am filtering lead (and everything else) out of the sound and can put gold and silver sounds back in if I want to, else wise I can run dead clean system sound that has no properties and this takes the system sound back to master tape/on stage sound in the lounge room and on headphones. The sounds of gold and silver are useful as 'correction factor' when used as I described, other materials can be subjectively noisy/have signature.

I can rephrase-it using your image and what is taught by all the great cooking chiefs. Do you think playing with unknown spices rather than the quality of the products themselves is the best way to make a great recipe ? When those chiefs use thin gold foils, it is just to change the look of their plate, not the taste.
The chef uses spices with even the best ingredients, this can be to enhance flavours (a la carte) or to set a 'house flavour' (buffet/McDonalds). The major manufacturers unknowingly set 'house sound' by external supply chain and internal processing of materials, this is easy to see beginning with the AC plug.
As we are situated on each side of the planet from each other, I have no way to evaluate by myself the effectiveness of your original approach. It should be as stupid to reject-it than to believe in it. That being said, if you put yourself in my place, you will grant me the right, among other hypotheses, to imagine that all this could be the product of a delusional imagination ?. So, can-you provide-me a simple way to experiment one of your revolutionary discoveries ? I was not convinced by your previous comparative tests.
You could start with clipping ferrite filters around each end of an RCA or 3.5 interconnect cable......use the shoe lace kind that come standard with most gear, you know the ones I mean. You can listen live to this difference by performing AB comparisons on the fly and you can also record these two system states/sounds or you can fit the ferrite filters around a loopback cable and record this changed system state for later audition and analysis. Once you hear and have learned the ferrite signature you will recognise it reliably in ABX and know it is no delusion. So there you have it, you and everybody can learn to discriminate fine subjective changes that you did not expect to be possible or consider audible because of 'education' and 'peer group pressures'.....things like wire materials and direction, solder alloys etc, even ferrite is sworn to be inaudible by many 'audiophiles' and most 'EE's'.
On my side, I use several tools to modify the sounds qualities, frequency correctors, compressors, expander, noise gates, artificial reverbs, delays and flanges etc. Lot of people use them, they have demonstrated their efficiency. But it is more about "cooking" than spicing. And the quality of the product is the musician part.
Yes this is 'standard equipment' tracking and mastering processing (the cooking) and is like bulk materials going into a bakery shop and emerging as final product and the qualities of the final product is dependent on the qualities of each of the source materials (the musicians) and the processor stages settings. Mastering houses/engineers use these kinds of outboard gear with 'secret' settings as their 'secret sauce' to get recordings to translate well out in the real world far away from the monitor room.....nightclubs, loungerooms, headphones, tv speakers, car audio, etc you know the deal. The 'compartment' that I said to imagine is perfectly real and it can work to correct recordings and it can also work to 'flavour' recordings. By controlling noise behaviours of systems previously obscured information can be retrieved, and then information can be selectively obscured again and this constitutes voicing or 'seasoning' in the chef's world.
With all due respect.
As always.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.