Which profession has the worst "bait and switch" tactic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought this thread was going to be pretty salacious, but then I realized "profession" was probably the wrong word for the topic.

Airlines used to be the worst in Canada, with advertised prices bearing little relation to the final total, but government legislation cleaned that up. I remember 20 years ago when I would book a flight over the phone, it was such a black box that I wouldn't be surprised if the ticket agent adjusted price based on how hard you negotiated.

Car dealers are pretty bad, but I always avoid them. I've never purchased a new vehicle and I'm 51.

Home electronics is pretty bad. I believe they produce essentially the same product with model numbers specific to the store to make it difficult to comparison shop.

Snake oil stuff sellers.

Anyway, I second leadbelly's opinion that the market section you're talking about mustn't be praised as "profession".

There's also a word "Profession" in the German language. It has to be used very restrictively and exclusively for priests, jurists, physicians and dentists, thus separating them from all the other occupations and jobs.

Best regards!

Last edited:
At first line a very high grade of challenge as the major drive to execute these professions, further on their high educational grade as academics, their professional ethics, their freedom in finding decisions and in execution, and, at least in Germany, their professional organization in well defined bodies.

Best regards!

Bait & Switch is an old sales tactic, anytime anyone is selling anything to you, it can be utilized. I find the worst offenders in home appliances, furniture, mattresses, and grocery stores are not averse to it either, although they can get away with it because they rely on the consumer to bait and switch themselves. Nice work if you can get it. But essentially my experiences just reflect what I've been buying; yours will probably reflect the same.

The legal form is loss leaders with limited quantities; you have to say those words out loud and then it's legit. You do need to have sufficient quantity on hand to satisfy some consumer demand, but no more than that. "We're sold out, but we have this one ... " You can fill in the rest.

If you really want to see some pro bait and switchers, take your wife somewhere to choose items for a home reno. You may as well not be there (and you can step back and see them at work, which is always a good consumer education); all the effort is on her, and many women are susceptible to bait and switch when it comes to outfitting their nests. I've seen some otherwise frugal and money-wise women fall hard. Just don't commit to buying anything.

You can replay the same exercise only go to a reseller that happens to sell whatever pushes your buttons, let the wife watch, then you both learn some valuable lessons, and learn them together. Together you both will save money for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Just educate yourself beforehand and then buy "the best tool/toy for the job".
No need to listen to some seller.

Think it was a week ago, I broke the glass on my wood oven, felt really stupid...
Started reading up on glass, did you know glass can be both metal and non-metal? It depends on the atomic sub-structure, whether it is amorphous or crystalline. But a ceramic glass can be both pending on the phase. There are also ceramic glasses that have negative coefficient of thermal expansion!

So yeah, glass is also really interesting. I did find a cheap glass cutter that had good quality glass for ovens, paid 2/5ths the price of going through the brand/oven manufacturer route. Tried talking about the various atomic sub-structures of different types of glass with the poor kid behind the counter. He actually seemed somewhat interested, until his eyes started glazing over... I think I need to learn some social code of conduct that may have eluded me. I always find a cheap good quality solution though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.