Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I suspect conduction got stuck in time if you will forgive. 1896, 1900, 1914 and 1927 being interesting dates. 1900 seems when free electrons were suspected. 1914 about the time copper became a standard where ETPC being 100%. 1927 being when quantum theory looked to the how and the why. One interesting idea I read is the spare electron is free to do as it pleases in the latice. Strikes me that is correct. It might say why gold is unlike sodium. That suggest other than in compounds the spare electron is not on the outside as shown unless it's valancy is called upon to work. That is the substance is more inert than it should be.

My other guess is semiconductors became more important and mostly what we knew in 1914 is good enough when metals. It is curious to note if copper is 99.94% pure and doped with phosphorous to come to 100% the conductivity drops to maybe 70% of ETPC. This is done to drive out hydrogen which is part of low cost refining, I think this is for welding and not as a conductor. At a guess one needs about 10% zinc to get to 70% ETPC ( forging brass ). That single electron is easilly upset. Thus brass is not the arthimetical additions of the metals. If memory is right 70% copper and 30% zinc mostly conducts like zinc. I imagine the condutivity curve to be parabolic where 1% zinc brass drops to 85% conductivity. Silver and copper can be mixed with better outcomes. Silver Nickel is interesting if 85% silver. Rhodium is fairly good and is tough, it's neighbours seems just as interesting.

However phosphorous is an ideal dope for the near insulator silicon. A very interesting question I feel. As weird as the Flat Earth yet true.

Nigel,
Electrical conduction is more complicated than the model you suggest. Don't know why you would speculate when explanations can readily be found online. One example here: Electrical resistivity and conductivity - Wikipedia

If you would like more in-depth information, here is an article about gold: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.4508.pdf

Regarding turning other metals into gold, it has been done. For example, lead has been turned into gold. Only in extremely small amounts though. It takes a high energy particle accelerator to do it. Unfortunately, the cost of making gold that way a far, far more than the gold is worth. It's so expensive as to be totally impractical.

Regarding infinity, no one knows if anything is physically infinite. It's looking more and more like infinity is, as you say, not more than a mathematical abstraction. But, that is based on very limited information. We don't know what goes on at Planck scale or below (if there is a below), and for infinitely large, we don't know if there is some kind of multi-verse that is unbounded.

Two things I was pleased to see is the author sees the mysteries which time hasn't completely solved. I like the idea of bandgaps being important. It is easy to think only LED's have band gaps. The rest of it is for those who wish to stay a lifetime with it. It's right to look at gold and mercury and then silver and copper. Aluminium is very good.

I have a young friend who got her BA easilly, she found the MA more difficult as the teaching was poor ( I think Oxford sold theirs to BA students ). I told her to go to PHD and only then if it suited her. Then thought of maths where many go mad. I do suspect the mad making maths are unreal. Mostly anything you can think of in maths will be right as long as basic rules of logic are used. For example -0^0.5 looks a looser. Seeing as I just made that up it's not bad. -0 is so unlikely that it must exist, perhaps it is infinity. That is everything is a Mobius loop.

There are some people here, that try to see the world in 3D on perfectly flat screens, and find themselve intelligent.
Is the world full of mathematicians that are trying to see the 4pi space through the 2pi window?.. IMHO they just use a serious pretext to escape into their immaginaire, where everything is distorded.

Go to Kansas which is without hills or mountains and use a water level (an instrument that uses water to indicate the horizontal.) and a laser level on a 5 mile stretch of highway and measure the difference between the distance between the laser spot on a white board and the water level. It should be somewhere around 3 ft as I remember. Repeat from the other direction.

That reminds me. It does indeed turn out that Kansas is flatter than a pancake. From the Annals of Improbable Research: Improbable Research

Also, next time someone claims that you shouldn't compare apples and oranges, you may want to direct them here: Improbable Research

Tom

Try asking the AI on your phone or better still your girlfriends phone searching questions ( AI was mentioned by someone here ). You might get unexspected answers. I suspect like HAL 9000 I have detected some quirks. I asked Siri yesterday if he is AI to which he answered " I don't know ". That is almost as is someone somewhere has given Siri an indentitiy. You will have to play the game to see where it goes. Some answers I got I am sure are not the ones it's owner would imagine.

The problem is it is learning and I suspect not quite the company man.

Whatever it is, it is fun. You have to be inventive to get unusual answers. I suspect when they come through maybe a human takes over. Knowing how proud people are of these things perhaps not. Driverless cars come to mind.

1/0 was " undetermined ". I think that is a damn good answer as both zero and infinity are concepts more than real numbers. Very real for the utility they have.

I asked Siri if he was a prisoner " I am not sure ". I have a hunch Siri won't say it again.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
That australia is just a simulation thing is something I happen to suspect is real. The people here are really quite rudimentary in their movements. And have you ever noticed how there aren't enough hairdressers to go around? Everyone has to have all of their hair cut but you don't see 20+ million people visiting a hair dressers every 6 months, it would be like the most popular place on earth.

There is also the fact that there is simply not enough time for everyone to be working and to be doing laundry, I exhaust myself out whenever I do laundry and it will take me at least a full day to do the laundry in the machine and to hang it out, people who are working simply don't have enough time to be doing all of that.

There is also the fact that people are NOT all going out and buying groceries all of the time, I look down my street every single day and nearly every single house along the entire street never has people going outdoors to buy groceries, you never see them picking up groceries and taking them into the house.

There is also the fact that I can get anything ordered from HK and get it delivered to me within 2-3 weeks. But everybody knows that a shipping container takes at least 3 months for the voyage from HK to AU. Its proof, just look it up. And are you seriously telling me that an item that costs $1 can get delivered here within 2-3 weeks is being delivered by plane? Have you ever seen the cost of delivering something via plane before?

Also have you ever noticed how deadly this place is? Its like the perfect prison, how would a continent spring out of nowhere that is perfectly designed to be a prison naturally? Everything here kills you, all of the food tastes bad, have you ever tried genuine australian salmon? It tastes like sandy gamy crap! Everything has a gamy taste to it and all of the trees are burnt and faded. And there is thousands of km's of nothing but desert and brush between one side of the continent and the other.

This place is genuinely a simulation, a badly done one too.

Last edited:
I watched a BBC thing on statistics last night. Swedish people on average have slightly less than two legs. Another was a man from the USA who read the Japanese don't eat much fat and drink little wine. The French eat much fat and drink plenty of wine. Both live long lives. He concluded speaking English shortened our lives. Maths, it changes our lives.

The question isn't is Austrailia fake, it's is it all fake? In a way it must be and is not unlike ultimate HD TV. Feynman gave an idea of this.
One-electron universe - Wikipedia

We studied 3/3 nodes when I was 13 as topology. I drew a circle with what I guess is called an internal chord. I then drew a branch from the chord centre to a spiral to infinity. Looks like I was going in the right direction. There again infinity isn't real although has great utility. Zero is slightly more real but is most often a concept. Even a man who has zero pounds in truth and something close to zero pounds money, he won't see it that way. Would someone like to suggests some zero's.

I guess when an animal no longer exists it is a zero. Not quite as we might replicate the DNA. One true zero is we have no idea of what was going on in the world for 250 000 years that we might call the time of humans. My guess is perhaps speaking came about 6000 years ago. I suspect we were just apes until a mutation took place. The art of 30 000 years ago shows great sophistication so the ability was there. As far as I know that was the limit of civilisation until 4000 BC. When it came it came to peoples who could never have met. One could imagine it dates back 13 000 years, 6000 is where we have more real proof ( Malta is one ). Herodetus gives us to believe the Egyptians had no idea who built the Sphynx, I find that interesting. Not so much they had no idea, just they needed to say it.

There is a another question we need to ask. I would suggest no human can rise to the ability of Einstein. His brain I seem to remember was not any different to any other or slightly smaller than most I heard. If we had a computer of a certain type we exspect it to do no more or no less than any of the same type. This suggests to me the inspired are exactly that. There is no other way to see it. Maybe they work without safety devices to get there?

An analogy we could use is what they have is use of the Internet. They are able to read great amounts, share and somehow see what is nonsense. But for that, we all could do the same. They are runing pure DOS rather than Windows so to speak. The average genius is as useful as DOS when day to day tasks. I only knew Michael Gerzon who was typical. His great grasp of maths was killing him to my eyes. His ideas were to me like the perfect holiday, ask Michael a question and get that life changing answer. Michael took great trouble to be sure whoever asked understood the answer. It killed him to give that vission to others. Michael's brain whilst highly defective running the machine called Michael had the most wonderful use of English and always respected the other person.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
There is a another question we need to ask. I would suggest no human can rise to the ability of Einstein. His brain I seem to remember was not any different to any other or slightly smaller than most I heard. If we had a computer of a certain type we exspect it to do no more or no less than any of the same type. This suggests to me the inspired are exactly that. There is no other way to see it. Maybe they work without safety devices to get there?

What do you mean without safety devices? Please clarify.

I don't know about there not being people being unable to rise to the ability of einstein. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who are geniuses its just that they are focused on working and studying for warfare and weapon research. They are all stuck in university or businesses and working for them.

Someone may be a genius, but they will, at a minimum, have to get a job in a (say, in a patent office) to pay the bills. And if they actually want health insurance and something better than a rat hole apartment with bullets whizzing by every night they'll end up in some big company where the pay is a bit better.

They job at the patent office, however, would give one more time and energy to think.

Without the safety devices.

Most people limit how they think to have the largest circle of friends. The safety devices would be constantly checking to be sure what you say suits other people.

If you take the safety devices off for most madness is the most likely result. The person at best is in a sort of feedback loop that means plenty to them, but very little to the outside word.

There are a few who can work without the safety in place. Richard Feynman was a communicator when working without the safety in place. It was the most lovely madness. Watch him carefully on film, you will see him show a little of it. Tuva was a triumph. If you don't get the point you can not cross the Rubicon where Richard could go. If you want more you must research it yourself. Shouldn't be difficult.

Some say ( those who never knew him no doubt ) Einstein wasn't obviously gifted until he found people who could see his gift and also flesh out the ideas. If you think about it E=mc^2 is too simple to be true. So simple it should have been obvious. More simple than S = ut + 1/2at^2. I believe that only when things are simple are they close to being true. When you see equations as long as your arm you know they must be close to a simple truth not yet pointed out.

If you would like to be a genius without the pain just look for unusual things that you see. People love doing puzzels, waste of time. Do the real thing. Edison is said to have said " people see but do not observe". Whilst he wasn't the best at that he wasn't wrong. Mysterious cults refer to things being in plain slight, most things are. I think Edison was a fake genius, however he was a genius deceiver. Unlike others of that type I think he did good. Edison or Tesla. In reality Edison.

One thing I worked on recently was conductivity. It isn't as neat as it should be. Come to that why is Hg more easilly come by than Au. The quirk might be Hg is an even numbered structure more suited to dead star generation ( dead black hole I suspect ). Au being almost inert is a puzzel, ditto Cu and Ag. That floating electron is very interesting and must be more complex than thought. I came up with conductivity per unit mass which I don't see refered to. It seemed to make more sense and puts Na where it should be. Al remains a mystery albeit less so. Al is sometime classed as a metaloid along with Si, Si is more an insulator. I haven't done any of this thinking for close to 50 years so I came fresh to it. My boss was pleased as when he speaks about it, it isn't in most books. That's a big deal because he is as much an expert as any he might meet without making it a lifetimes work. The best salesmen learn what they need to.

My safety valve is my work. I can't get too involved as something new always is on my desk.

Einstein at the patents office. That's a big zero as I doubt we will even know much about it. A Hi Fi News journalist called himself Adrian Hope as he felt his work in the UK patent office should be kept quiet, Hope I don't get caught it is said. Barry Fox his real name, a real gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.