Visual Snow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't disturbed at all.
For me, my vision it isn't like this on the picture.
I can't see black spots or similar things as on the pic.
It appears only at night or only in total darkness.
Or, I tested it now, if I look up to the clear blue sky, there are very small, pinpoint size blinking sparkles.
Actually, these are anywhere, where I look, but masked by objects.
I have these sparkles, ever since I remember.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

vision snow.jpg

Last edited:
Visual Snow

Are there anyone else here, who is experiencing this phenomenon?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/08/visual-snow-debilitating-eye-condition-doesnt-exist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

Mine is mostly like on the right pic on wiki.

Yes it's called ophthalmic migraine very scarey the first time you get it. After two instances 25 yr. ago it has never returned. I need not say some extreme drinking took place the night before. ;)

The floating sparkles could be a blood pressure/brain oxygen issue, please see a doctor for your own good.

Last edited:
Yes, I read it.
I never had a migraine.
Even a simple headache to me is occurs only once in a leap year.
And if I drink a coffee, it has gone in ten minutes.
However, those little sparks are always there.
There's more, but I'm afraid, my English is too weak to describe this.

Ahhhh good old visual snow. I remember this quite well.. After a night of recreational cough syrup use, the sun would creep over the horizon and usher in that familiar feeling of watching a uhf station that was almost tuned in. That was many years ago. In present day, I suppose I do see it faintly with my eyes closed and when tired--I guess I attribute it to getting older and flashing myself a couple times while welding.
The one that's really scary is scintillating scotoma. I get this a couple times a year with migraines. Though the migraine is usually painless, the loss of usable vision puts me down for the 20-40 minutes that it typically persists.
And, yes, do see a Dr about those shimmering floaters.

sent from my mobile look-at device

It is very kind of you are worry for me.
Those little sparkles are with me more than 57 years.
I do not think I would risk anything except a stroke.
But it will not because of the sparks for me but my wife.
Although she is with me for over thirty years.

I have been living with what I call "background noise" in my vision for as long as I can remember, although it might have intensified with some LSD use in the 1960's.

It is not noticeable normally unless I look for it, except in dim light. There the "noise figure" degrades reducing the S/N. Worst case is twilight with the fading sun behind me. Sometimes I get the snowy image effect, but never as bad as the example in previous posts.

I also get the negative image ghosting when staring at a high contrast image for a while and then closing my eyes. It can remain for a few seconds, or several minutes.

Seconds is normal, minutes is not.

I have this forum open in a single window that takes up about half of the 43 inch screen, centered, bordered by about 5 inches of black screen top and bottom, 8 to 10 on the sides.

If I stare at it for a while, as done while reading several posts, then close my eyes I will see a dark square on a light grey field. After anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute the light grey field darkens to a deep blue while the dark square fades to a dim red. Then the whole thing slowly blends together.

Sometimes if my head hasn't moved I can open my eyes for just a second or two and refresh the image. The effect is repeatable most every time, but the persistence time varies. The effect is more pronounced in a dimly lit room, and sometimes the color scheme is different green / orange is not uncommon.

this is very common. In fact, I'd venture to say that if you don't have that happen, you're unique. I attribute it to having chemical/biological cameras with highly sensitive sampling cells, easy to burn in, slow to refresh.

sent from my mobile look-at device

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> little randomly squiggling dots you get when you're bent over and straighten up quickly?

See Floaters.

Floaters are stray cells floating inside the eye. Everybody has a few. I have a lot. Normally benign. A sudden increase is cause for alarm and a trip to the doc/tech who can look inside your eye. But a swirl after a sudden twist is probably minor.

The visual snow is less common. But I have leg "tingle" (sometimes severe) due to nerve damage. There may be some such thing in visual snow. Nerves fire randomly for no good reason, and you think you see dots. That's not to deny a connection or similarity with migraine (which is not always headache).

There is a LOT they do not know about the body. Yesterday's news said they discovered "a new organ"! Actually it is the long-known stuff that holds your guts inside the abdomen. But they now think it does a lot more in a coordinated way, which elevates it to "organ". There's also a positive feedback loop inside the ear nerves, which was not known when I was younger. They may someday get around to figuring out "eyeball static".

Umm just a question, is this a similar condition as those little randomly squiggling dots you get when you're bent over and straighten up quickly?

That's a blood pressure thing. Google "seeing stars"

Little dark dots you see on bright backgrounds that move around when you blink or move your eyes are called "floaters" These are bits of cellular material inside your eyes or on your cornea. After my brother had several head injuries (and possibly a detached retina) his floaters increased dramatically and now he says some are like "little dirty pieces of cellophane"

I don't have visual snow, but In certain dimly lit environments I can close my eyes and see "dancing phosphenes" almost like a kaleidoscope of pulsing red, green and blue ;) It can make meditation more difficult, or you can focus on them rather than the breath....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.