Giving blood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fergit it man. Live by the sword I say.

Nice to hear about all the giving you have been able to do over the years. I hope to be proud of it myself one day. In the meantime, you ever coming out this way again?

might be who knows? the last time I was there you were playing your small rig at Dave's August get together, the A7 cabinets with the 511B and I think selenium fifteens underneath. I remember thinking that everyone within a three mile radius was probably humming the same tunes you were playing on your Hafler five hundred. Stereo rigs set up on the back deck in the main listening room a couple more out front. Fantastic people everywhere, Ruth's great cooking and Dave's fantastic Coffee. The cats wondering who all these people were. Nights on the front deck under the stars. Beautiful British Columbia.
So what are you using as your small mobile rig these days Cal? Lat time I saw Dave in Calgary I gave him a set of Radian coaxial 8" dual concentric drivers with the Radian compression drivers and I think I had the crossovers too. Did he ever build them up? I would like to build some Karlson based cabinets but that all takes money and a car or a van. I will just have to win a lottery. I have a buddy who lives on his sailboat in Deep Bay. A visit would be nice. Really depends upon the economy. Thanks for asking.

Platelets -- takes more time.

when I started in the Pheresis program donations took about three hours start to finish needles in both arms someone had to attend yo the whole time you could not even scratch your own nose. By the time I ended I could only watch short movies, I used to run with one arm and finish in about an hour fifteen or twenty. Free soup free cookies good looking nurses and lots of good feelings everywhere. the large gage needles they use do leave big track scars though. I have people think I am/was a user when they see my arms. You have to explain even at hospitals. Of all the things you can do to donate this one is high on the list for doing good. I donate my blood products and people get saved by them at no cost to those who need them. That's a lot better than donating money that never finds its way to where you were told it would go. Whole blood and blood products come out of an arm and go right back into one. All along the the path from one arm to another is nothing but caring and sharing. It is a very wonderful thing to do when you share. I figured that I could use all the good Karma that I could get and what better way to fill your Karmic bank account?

. . . I have been giving every eight weeks and done just fine - which does not surprise me as the cells have a much shorter lifespan so I'd guess you just need to get a decent amount of iron in your diet and all is well. When the analysis is, eventually, done there will be some basis - unless the conclusion is that 8 weeks is fine and they re-start the trials but looking at shorter periods . . .
In the U.S. it is currently 8 weeks (56 days). I vaguely recall a longer interval back in the 1970's and '80's, but don't remember what it was nor when the rules changed.

Dale

Dale, it's 56 days in Canada too.

Moray, your memory is impeccable.
I hope you do get a chance to come out again. Maybe we can give blood together. Goodness knows I've lost a pint or two over the years at Dave's place. :D
OT: The mobile rig is smaller these days. Im a one box kinda guy these days so I have 4x12" plus a 12" coax, tri-amped. Seems to do the job well enough as long as you don't need the bottom octave. Took it over to Dave's place last time and everybody got mad at me so they must be ok. :)
Here's a link to that event:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...uver-island-diyfest-2014-a-6.html#post4029007

8 weeks according to the US Red Cross site.

They are changing the hemoglobin minimum level from 12.5 g/dL to 13.0 g/dL sometime in the near future according to a letter I received yesterday.

I've been marginal in the past for my hemoglobin level so I may end up getting rejected in the future.

Give blood but you may find that blood is enough
Give blood and there are some who'll say it's not enough
Give blood, but don't expect too ever see reward
Give blood, you can give it all but still asked for more

Give blood, but it could cost more than your dignity
Give blood, parade your pallor in iniquity
Give blood, they will cry and say they're in our debt
Give blood, but then they'll sigh and they will soon forget

Pete Townshend - Give Blood

Couldn't resist...

I'm ashamed to admit I've only given blood once, during my Uni days. The nurse told me that I'd feel a small jag and then I could relax for 15mins while the blood was taken. After the needle went in I felt an electric shock down my arm, which very quickly went into spasm. After a few moments I had lots of people around me lifting my feet and fanning my face, as I'd started to lose consciousness. I was given some juice and sent home. Five days later, after increasing pain extending down to my hand and up over my back, I was taken into hospital. It transpired that the needle had gone through my vein, through my nerves and into my artery. They got my pint in 45secs. When they realised what had happened they pulled the needle out and left a hole in my artery. The pain I experienced over the next few days was bleeding that went down to my fingers and into my torso. I feel a bit guilty mentioning this, as I don't want to put anyone off donating, but hopefully the act of sharing my experience encourages me to give it another go. Well done to all of the good people doing it on a regular basis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.