Which company has the best looking volume knob on their amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NAIM

Attachments

• RXV06799-1024x682.jpg
    RXV06799-1024x682.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 422
That's the Naim Uniti Atom folks and its giant knob is a tactile triumph!
Precision Volume Control At the heart of Uniti is an audiophile volume control which adjusts level in the analogue domain to a premium digital resolution. Its ultra-smooth rotation and illumination is inspired by our reference amplification system, Statement. The lit volume segments are reflected in the same fashion on Uniti Atom’s intuitive remote control and will adjust accordingly on the top surface ring if the volume is changed remotely. We’ve also hidden the Bluetooth antenna here for a seamless aesthetic.

Attachments

• Naim Unit Atom.png
    Naim Unit Atom.png
    476.7 KB · Views: 412
The most acceptable looking knob to me

It appears as if the design of a knob is not such a light task afterall. I have salvaged some black from an amp whose guts I threw away, except for the power supply and knobs, etc...The photo is off aliexpress.

Attachments

• knob2.jpg
    knob2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 378
That's the Naim Uniti Atom folks and its giant knob is a tactile triumph!

I strongly agree. I've got an Atom driving my Quad 2912's and that knob is just fantastic to use. Smoooth, and it lights up when you get near it. The downside is that it's on top so you can't put the gear on a shelf with low top clearance. The remote is also a joy to use. If you move it it lights up and it's not IR but uses RF with a zigbee. All in all a fantastic product.

But talking about knobs, I have always liked the Audio Research preamp knobs, Easy to grab, a nice diameter, and an odd shape, not round, not square, easy to know the position just by feel.

Audio research pic...

For non-audio knobs, old general radio or leeds and northrup gear had some fantastic knobs in their day.

Sheldon

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Over in the broadcast field, Vassos (designer) really-really looked at the knob and devised a shape which was iconic on RCA broadcast gear from the 1930s into the early 1970s (when insipid "computer inspired" design came in). Some of what he worked into his knob is not relevant here: we don't hang on a knob for hours like a broadcast engineer. However they are seriously stylish and now sought-after (also cloned) for studio gear.

Attachments

• Vassos-Knob.gif
    Vassos-Knob.gif
    136.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Vassos-RCABE-1934.jpg
    Vassos-RCABE-1934.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 201
Featuring preloaded double ball bearings, it turns smooth like silk.
Integrated touch sensor and display, so nothing else needed on the front plate.
That is just too cool!

While I readily admit to being a big fan of the knobs on those old RCA and Gates mixer consoles, I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned the vernier dial on the National HRO receivers. I know it's not strictly an audio component, but it can be considered as a sort of "granddaddy" to Calvin's multifunction knob.

The 5-window display was only part of the magic, as it was coupled to a silky-smooth worm-drive transmission that was built like a tank. All in all, an elegant design perfectly suited for the time.

Oh yeah - and did I mention that it goes to 500? :p

Attachments

• HRO-60.jpg
    HRO-60.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 531
  • HRO Transmission.jpg
    HRO Transmission.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.