John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wish I could talk about audio design again. It still goes on. Spoke to Bascom King today. A very good designer and a true competitor.

Mr.Curl

It will be interesting so see Mr.Bascom K. latest hybrid amp topology , at least some simplified schematic ,
from YouTube - B.K. presentation I only know that hi designed OPS using only N type power Fet-s .

This would be mission impossible, since any stylus creates very small tracking distorsions depending almost on modulation and some intermodulation, resonances, speed deviations and so on resulting in a noncontrolable harmonic spectrum, i think we can call it tone color.

But usually this will be ignored from high end users and almost also manufacturers. :)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Olive must be wrong.
I don't like clicks and pops and so on, but i unfortunately i can not avoid them completely.
SO's belief is right up there with the white lab coat and clipboard strawman for audio engineers.

Although Sean attends HiFi shows and says he hears a lot of bad sound, I doubt he has heard really decent vinyl playback.

I understand that when vinyl and R-to-R tape was the only source material for subjective evaluation of loudspeakers at NRC, it led to frustration.

Speaking of causality, I'm waiting for the device to remove the mechanical artifacts from LP reproduction.
A lubricant layer between vinyl and stylus goes a long way toward that aim. For many and various mechanical effects, including surface crackle-pop. Join the quest for the perfect DIY vinyl surface friction reduction treatment........

And no it doesn't degrade tracing accuracy, so long as the locus of the stylus path follows the groove V base, which it often can do better. So lower distortion, better noise floor, better lf stability, reduced skate force and improvement to most mechanical artefacts in vinyl playback, without compromise is the grail. Too good to be true, but no matter what forum, it's v difficult to persuade people even to explore............

Status
Not open for further replies.