John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

This should divide opinions. Either the best measuring commercial amplifier on the planet or cold, sterile and souless. Or for me too expensive :)

Based on the weight (only 7 kilos) and size (only 2RU height) it's probably chock full of switching mode subsystems. Based on the audio performance, it's likely a class A with class D driven PS rails. BTW, 0.0001% at 1KHz is nothing really outstanding, if a generous output stage is included (class A, or even class AB). The 1KHz loop gain doesn't change much, even if the ULGF has to be lowered for stability reasons (the usual trade when adding output devices). HF distortion specs are conveniently skipped :p.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As some recall, I bought a used Mastering recorder a few months ago. When I played music thru it, it sounded dull, lifeless. I opened it up to see if I could mod it in some way but gave up and didnt do anything. It used mostly 5532/4 opamps for analog processing.

That was first time I heard a product with those opamps. Gnerally, I go with descretes for audio.

That someone thinks it is fine is not relevent to Me. And, does not change my perception of what I hear. Once again we have data from other people that is perceived same way. That is part of the meta-data I refer to. There are a significant number of people who hear this or that exactly the same way.
[note that significant does not have to be the majority]

The 5532/4 resembles 'compressive' behaviour which results in life-less sound quality.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
there were a significant number of people who believed in witchcraft for centuries after the Church pronounced they didn't exist - enough to burn tens thousands as witches in Europe
the 5th century Synod of St. Patrick ruled that 'A Christian who believes that there is a vampire in the world, that is to say, a witch, is to be anathematized; whoever lays that reputation upon a living being shall not be received into the Church until he revokes with his own voice the crime that he has committed.' A capitulary from Saxony (775-790 CE) blamed these stereotypes on pagan belief systems: 'If anyone, deceived by the Devil, believes after the manner of the Pagans that any man or woman is a witch and eats men, and if on this account he burns [the alleged witch]... he shall be punished by capital sentence."

even today hundreds accused of witchcraft are killed yearly - one even just this week in the US

Last edited:
The 5532/4 resembles 'compressive' behaviour which results in life-less sound quality.
I would not qualify-it like this. Or, if it is some kind of compression, it affect microcontrasts only. Because it don't look like this OPA is lacking current on basses, for example, and no problem on global dynamic neither.
To find an equivalence in photography, it should be a lack of "clarity" and "vibrance".
No Idea from where it can come, or what happens. Measurements looks OK.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
there were a significant number of people who believed in witchcraft for centuries after the Church pronounced they didn't exist - enough to burn tens thousands as witches in Europe

even today hundreds accused of witchcraft are killed yearly - one even just this week in the US

Oh, Pleeease. We are talking about listening perceptions in common.... not spiritual beliefs in common. Listening perceptions in this day and age. I dont see the connection you are trying to relate this to. Dont bother to elaborate.... its an old ploy that doesnt hold water IMO.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I would not qualify-it like this. Or, if it is some kind of compression, it affect microcontrasts only. Because it don't look like this OPA is lacking current on basses, for example, and no problem on global dynamic neither.
To find an equivalence in photography, it should be a lack of "clarity" and "vibrance".
No Idea from where it can come, or what happens. Measurements looks OK.

OK. I was wondering if the cfa greater clarity reasons may apply to lack of it in 5532. Just a thought... if there is a thread of connection that relates. But we hear it same way.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I liked the BenchMark one and even better the two DAC that I was thinking about thier power amp but when they didnt publish full specs and still have not...... I decided not to buy. Too fishy..... though BenchMark has done some very good work. Still waiting for more info from them or someone who was able to test one.

THx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.