John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerorge, no disrespect meant, but I irst heard about the bybees here, in this thread, and am not interested in them enough to reserach about them. I have no desire to research this entire forum before I mention some audio device just because ot was covered in some thread. Ultimately, I am intersted in what THIS thread has to say about it. In addition to that, I have no great personal interest in the Bybees, although I would like to give them a go after all this hullabaloo and will if ever I can. As I did in my time regarding some cables, only to be let down (sort of), as they did nothing for me, not half of what was advertised.

The only reason I am here is to try to learn what I can. And that did happen, I was given a few hints in private communication with some people, which I initially thought were way out, but did try them nevertheless on the strenght of those people's reputation and I am glad I did because they were right. It's that simple.

And the review is:

THEY WORK!
Posted by Chris Stevenson on 7th Nov 2014

These devices do what they claim they can do. They cleaned up the sound considerably, resulting in a more detailed, natural sound (louder, even at the same volume level). Where you locate/position them makes a huge difference - experiment. Best of all, no cords, no batteries, no muss no fuss. Very easy to install (zero labor). Most highly recommended! I have 15. I may buy more.

Now don't ask me why! It certainly is not explained by circuit theory.

Happy Customer said:
These devices do what they claim they can do. They cleaned up the sound considerably, resulting in a more detailed, natural sound (louder, even at the same volume level). Where you locate/position them makes a huge difference - experiment. Best of all, no cords, no batteries, no muss no fuss. Very easy to install (zero labor). Most highly recommended! I have 15. I may buy more.

John,
You have your opinions and I have mine. But that does not mean I can't be skeptical of outrageous claims someone makes. I have been in the position of a lecturer and believe me I need to be able to back up what I say with evidence and real results to make a statement and be considered truthful.

I have been on the other side of things when someone says something can't be done. mostly because they couldn't make something work or accomplish the task. That is not the same as someone saying that they can defy the laws of gravity or the speed of light. In that case we would surely demand proof of some sort. prove it and we will all believe. I have asked you personally some questions about electronics and you have answered with reasoned answers and even personal information you could keep to your self. I appreciate that, but to wildly make the statement that you have never found Bybee to say something you don't question is hard to fathom. I could care less about the Bybee devices, I would never purchase then as long as the claims are so far fetched that they defy any logic.

I have to deal with and have had to deal with people with some really wild ideas over the years in my own experiences. Sometimes I think they must be nuts or just don't understand the basic processes but then we try it anyway to prove the point either way. A proof of concept becomes what you are looking for. I'm surely no physicist or EE but that does not mean I don't understand many basic facts and theories. There are many on this thread who can run circles around me in the electronics field, I would say I could do that in advanced composites and many other plastic processes. That does not mean I don't reach out and ask questions of those who I think know more than I do, some on this thread do know I do that on a personal basis. A trade of information between colleges is one of the ways to move things forward when many minds can add to a subject.

Dvv,
While I appreciate your sales methods, return a product that doesn't work for you at no cost to the buyer, that is only part of the picture. I do understand that any power line filter will work differently under such varying conditions and may or may not make a difference in the sound quality of a system. That is something that can not only be heard but measured. At the same time the facts that some have tried to help you with safety and you disregard those suggestions I can't take lightly. Whether you have ever had a failure in the field is unimportant, the potential is still there and you are ignoring it. All you have to do is look at the current GM recall for a cheap ignition switch to see what can happen. When someones houses catches fire because of that one instance where conditions are perfect for a failure I hope you have a lot of insurance coverage on your products, you could lose everything you own and have worked for. Perhaps that doesn't happen in your country but it surely does here in the US and it only takes one person to wreck everything you have work for.

Do I believe that different capacitors can affect the sound of a device, yes. Are there known reasons for this yes. Even between similar types of devices made by different manufactures I believe there are basic processing differences that can account for those differences, even those that are Trade secrets or unspoken process changes.

As far as what Richard Marsh just said about the skin effect and audio I have my own feelings about how and what Richard says. He is a very bright guy who worked on cutting edge engineering, he knows his subjects but at the same times gives little detail to back up his statements. I think he does this as a teacher would, to make you think, to take that curiosity and look for yourself, do some research and learn something new.

As George or Pavel has noted ITAR rules would quickly stop Bybee from using anything like a secret material in a readily available commercial product, you must not have ever worked in one of these types of industries that have to follow those rules. As was said the military doesn't play around with that, they just put you in jail. Now I won't say that these things don't eventually get released at some time to the public or industry to take advantage of but by then the military has moved on to something else or the information becomes available through some other method such as independent discovery or development. NASA does this all the time, they will allow something to be developed commercially for a price. The DOD does not allow someone who works for them to take anything they worked on and make a commercial product from a secret material, that just doesn't happen. For these many reasons I have to use my built in skepticism to question anything Bybee related, it goes against everything that I understand.

I do not support Bybee or Bybee-like promotional texts, I believe they do their authors more harm than good, but it appears they disagree. In the end, they will pay the price, but in the meanwhile they will have ripped off a lot of people and that can't be right.

But if there's such a strong feeling about it, then someone should take them to court for fraud. That is, I believe, punishable by law. When I feel wronged I sue the government, 5 times in the last 25 years, and was told on every turn that I could not win, yet I did. All it takes is some resolve and a good lawyer, which mine is, and also a good friend as well.
Ripped off? This is what the site says:

Bybee products can be tried risk free, as all of the Bybee products come with a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee.

If you want to put them out of business, everybody here can buy them, and send them back, over and over again - have the company doing nothing but fulfilling doomed orders ...

If you want to put them out of business, everybody here can buy them, and send them back, over and over again -
have the company doing nothing but fulfilling doomed orders ...

Suggesting this (even as a joke) is totally inappropriate. There are also quite a number of people who think
that all "high end" audio is a scam as well, and would never spend more than a few hundred on a stereo, if that.

Apparently, the 'magic' that Jack showed me last week is related to this 'plate' that he is now selling. I just was given a different form of the same effect. Works for me!
I have a plate form similar to Jacks, works for me also.
I have been very suspicious of Jack Bybee over the decades. It is just that he 'delivers' what he says, even if I cannot understand the fundamental mechanism for the change. I HAVE taken apart Bybee devices, and found them to appear to be what Jack says they are.
I have taken them apart also....looks quite simple, but high manufacturing costs, labour and ingredients.

Anybody know how to generate a true 1/f noise signal, going down to sub Hz frequencies ?.

Dan.

Suggesting this (even as a joke) is totally inappropriate. There are also quite a number of people who think
that all "high end" audio is a scam as well, and would never spend more than a few hundred on a stereo, if that.
Why inappropriate? The whole Western world is built on a massive edifice of silly amounts of money being paid for many goods and services which are only marginally effective, if that. The level of 'mock' rage here, by many, at one particular example, close to their field of interest, seems to me to be the thing out of place ...

Aye, and I am one, although of course I don't think ALL of High End is a scam, but unfortunately a large part of it is. I've been let down too many times by famous names. I must add that this also depends on what one categorizes as "High Rnd", as this will vary wildly with GNP of a country. For example. Accuphase is locally taken as true High End, even if they do have cheaper models as well as damn expensive ones simply because the cost of a new Accuphase model would require about a year's inome at average salaries locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.