John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I have a device that clearly improves perception of audio quality. When properly used it has a measurable effect of the improvement. It has no active parts. It improves the signal to noise ration.

Now it costs just a few cents, although you should replace it often for best results.

So the real issue is how much should I charge for my audiophile Q-tips?

Last edited:
Not recommended past the outer ear. Wax impaction can lead to a serious infection, ask me how I know.

Thank you for pointing out the correct use of a Q-tip. The rule is never put anything solid into your ear canal. Foam ear plugs are the limit. To clean an ear canal a rubber bulb ear syringe is used with warm water and a small amount of soap.

I use the antibacterial foam ear plugs in summer. In winter headset style, as they also keep you warm.

Now will you believe there are some passive devices that do improve the sound?

Prevent =/= remove.

Oh thank you for clearing that up. So Bybees prevent noise! :)

Then why is there so much noise about them on this site?

I will be a bit uppity all day as I am revising our QC manual. That means I actually have to check all the references to be sure they are current, etc.

One of the revised version of what used to be a standard audio book came in today and has revised all of the QC info out of it. (Good Thing, it was mostly wrong.) One of the new bits I like "For example, at a frequency of 10e6 Hz an electromagnetic wave propagating through the interior of a slab of copper would have a propagation velocity of approximately 400 m/S." (Sound System Engineering P585.) Just the useful kind of information I would expect in a book on how to design and build commercial sound systems.

Hmm wonder why this stuff makes me grouchy?

You guys know what they say about the horse, the committee that designed it and about the result, don't you?

Yes, but then, I am not blind.

A whole new market is in the process of forming, and it's doing it pretty fast. These days, kids change cell phones overnight, just because it's new and nobody else has it. And they do it for obscure "feature".

Now, imagine what would happen, with proper design (in John's case, that would be a given) and proper marketing suport, if a new high quality phono RIAA stage cum AD converter were to appear from a reknown designer.

I think that would make a hell of a splash, and even the mod squad would not be able to resist, let alone the hard bitten audiophiles.

Ed is on track.

No John I gave up track after high school.

SY,

Why can't you admit to all the things that were reverse engineered since the July 1946 Roswell UFO crash.

Transistor December 1947
Velcro 1948
Integrated circuit 1949 "Idea" 1958 "First Unit"
Quantity processing of Titanium 1950
Fiber reinforced bullet proof vests 1951
TV remote control 1955
Microwave Oven 1955
Lasers 1958
Fiber optics 1958
Pacemaker 1958
1961 Cordless Drill
1962 Telstar
Light Amplifier 1963 (Night Vision)
1969 Smoke detector
Microprocessor 1971
1973 MRI
1978 GPS

Surely you don't think these are natural products of modern science and technology? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.