John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corners are where the real fun happens.

I agree, but on the corner exit is my favourite. I hadnt seen much of this model S before a few days ago, but its really impressing me. its HEAVY at 4000lb for sports saloon due to the batteries, but very smart design. all the cells are built into the floor pan and use it for heat exchange also. so center of gravity is very low and it corners like on rails, great brakes (also tested better stopping power than the M5, at least with these drivers) combined with that torque.... and thats the press it seems to be getting almost universally from people who have actually driven one. ive seen most people literally whooping, smiling/screaming/giggling like kids.

youtube has it beating a fully specced BMW M5 in a 1/4 mile drag race too. 0-60MPH in 4s. 250mile range; seems a winner. lifetime warranty on the battery, unlimited free fuel top-ups using their network when its ready.

they recently paid off that start up loan from the DEP in full; 5 years early ... and have bought, gutted and outfitted the plant, designed and produced something like 90% of the parts in house, from scratch and gone into full production, automated production and look to be starting to bring a profit either this, or next quarter, profit in 2 years! thats insane!

you guys oughta be proud, seriously, thats some shithot American engineering and its quite beautiful to look at too, I normally dont like the look of American sports cars that much. the M5 is probably the faster car overall with the fully upgraded tiptronic and a good driver, but hell, it should be, that M5 model is one of the most brutal road going sports sedans.. period and heres a 7 seater sports saloon being compared to it with its first full car ...

We have been disappointed by the lack of 'production quantities' coming from LSI up to this time, of the pchannel jfets to replace the J74. We have certainly tried to encourage it.
We will continue production of the JC series with the same jfets.
It is not ALWAYS necessary to use the circuits that I normally design and get a pretty good product. It is just more 'difficult' to get the same performance, at least for me to do.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I agree, but on the corner exit is my favourite. I hadnt seen much of this model S before a few days ago, but its really impressing me. its HEAVY at 4000lb for sports saloon due to the batteries, but very smart design. all the cells are built into the floor pan and use it for heat exchange also. so center of gravity is very low and it corners like on rails, great brakes (also tested better stopping power than the M5, at least with these drivers) combined with that torque.... and thats the press it seems to be getting almost universally from people who have actually driven one. ive seen most people literally whooping, smiling/screaming/giggling like kids.

you guys oughta be proud, seriously, thats some shithot American engineering and its quite beautiful to look at too, I normally dont like the look of American sports cars that much. the M5 is probably the faster car overall with the fully upgraded tiptronic and a good driver, but hell, it should be, that M5 model is one of the most brutal road going sports sedans.. period and heres a 7 seater sports saloon being compared to it with its first full car ...

Here in the sunny country of California, we have a lot of cars that are running more power than produced by race cars... because there are no rules for street cars. [not saying its all legal and moral and green... just stating facts]. When comparing stock cars against one another -- newest M5 vs CTS-V etc, thats all well and good. But like with audio gear, we hop them up well beyond what the OEM did. My CTS-V has altered suspension -- springs and anti-roll bars changed.. relocated A-Arm points to keep geometry in optimum range, lowered 1-1.5 inch. handles better than stock. Would show better track times than reported in mags. Ditto the engine -- changing supercharger pulley ratios for more boost and remapping the fuel and timing curves, faster shifting etc - all reprogrammed. Would also add to lowering times on tracks. Same for modified M5.

I love the new high powered electric car - but it will take awhile to be able to hop them up for better performance than stock.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Richard,
I can see it now, new higher voltage motors to increase the speed, extra battery packs to increase the voltage, High power relays to transfer the energy from the battery to the motors, larger gauge wire for more current carrying capacity........

Oh yes, those were slot cars, I remember those.......:D

My first car.

:D At 100k right to the crusher.

Attachments

• 5460_n.jpg
    5460_n.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 185
Which will be the first company to build a sound system for performance electric cars, that can emulate the sound and vibration of full blown IC engines :D? Flick a switch, Ferrari, Porche boxer, classic Ford GT40, for your instant pleasure, with bass shakers to give one the authentic vibration at idle ...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'Nobody does anything'. So it's not always a matter of money only.
No it's not - it can be much more complicated and silly. When I lived on the sunny tropical isle of Maui, solar hot water was popular. But because of the tax and energy credits the systems were large, complex and expensive. It's Hawaii, for crying out loud! All you need to do is paint your water heater black and put it on the roof. Simple.

In the old days you used to see the black rooftop tanks in rural Florida. But no one does that any more 'cause "that's for poor people." :irked:

Which will be the first company to build a sound system for performance electric cars, that can emulate the sound and vibration of full blown IC engines :D? Flick a switch, Ferrari, Porche boxer, classic Ford GT40, for your instant pleasure, with bass shakers to give one the authentic vibration at idle ...

The low noise signature of electric cars is a safety issue for blind pedestrians. In the US there's beginning to be talk of *adding* some noise to hybrids.

Thanks,
Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Are you on the list for a C7 Richard? Perhaps waiting for Z06 or ZR1 trim? ;)

Give me a 911 GT3 RS and I will be happy, but probably wrapped around a tree shortly thereafter too.

Hey a fellow Connecticut dude!! I was born in Hartford.

I had a Z06 and built it up -- cam, full length headers etc etc etc. Was like a rocket sled in acceleration. Scary fast. Then the ZR1 came out and had about the same HP/Trq but much better all the way around. yes. I did.
I traded the Z06 in and got the ZR1 and drove it to the shop where we changed the supercharger pulleys etc -- bingo - 700HP. Now it is just plain outright Dangerous. Go power. Stopping power (rear brakes from the front brakes of the Enzo). Cornering power. Geeez. Now, that is what I call setting the bar high and going for it!

Thx-RNMarsh

btw, your car sounds awesome, really mate. not diminishing that, but as you said, at this stage tweaking and tuning for high power electric cars isnt a reality. I see no reason why they wont catch and surpass what weve been able to achieve with the ICE.

there is an important difference between the 2, with EV every ounce of power they can produce is available at 0 RPM

Last edited:

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
btw, your car sounds awesome, really mate. not diminishing that, but as you said, at this stage tweaking and tuning for high power electric cars isnt a reality. I see no reason why they wont catch and surpass what weve been able to achieve with the ICE.

there is an important difference between the 2, with EV every ounce of power they can produce is available at 0 RPM

Hi,
No power is produced at 0 RPM! Power is the product of RPM (angular frequency) times torque. :)

Hi,
No power is produced at 0 RPM! Power is the product of RPM (angular frequency) times torque. :)

you are right, I meant torque. but all the same, I guess you are talking about power at the wheels? and I guess you are stuck in an old paradigm. all the engine power (again, probably torque is more suitable for comparison) for EV of this type is just there and has nothing at all to do with RPM. for ICE the power is directly related to RPM because it can only create power in 'bangs' and the more often it can do that, the more power, with EV the power is there in the battery just sitting there and to get the net 'power' available you just multiply that with the efficiency of the power train. it has the same power available (in terms of current x voltage) whether its turning yet or not, as soon as you open the 'switch'

info for the old Roadster, the model S has roughly twice this power (KW) and higher RPM

The roadster is powered by an electric motor, a 3-phase, 4-pole induction motor, producing a maximum net power of 248 hp (185 kW).[92] Maximum torque is 200·lb·ft (270 N·m), obtained at 0 rpm and almost constant up to 6,000 rpm, a common feature of electric motors and one of the biggest differences (from the performance point of view) with internal combustion engines. The motor is air-cooled and does not need a liquid cooling system.

efficiency is something like 80-90%

Last edited:
you are right, I meant torque. but all the same, I guess you are talking about power at the wheels? and I guess you are stuck in an old paradigm. all the power for EV of this type is just there and has nothing at all to do with RPM

Depends on the type of motor. Synchronous motor will have torque approaching 0 at max rpm; max torque at 0 rpm. Torque and power are different in much the same way as current and power are different.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
they are already producing 1000BHP E cars Richard, not cheap though. not terribly useful either.

Just type in 'cars with 1000 horsepower' and you'll get pages and pages of them.... street cars mostly. My ZR1 still runs like a stocker. Speaking of torque at zero. My little lite weight car produces >400 pound/ft at just off IDLE ! 6 bolts on each main bearing, forged titanium rods, etc makes this engine easily ready for a lot more power and still be reliable. And, it gets good mileage! Too bad it has to cost so much. Tires go to the cord in 10-12K miles and they aint cheap. I only have 11K miles on it... that is a lot for a fast car. Guess i should sell it to another crazy over the top car nut and just keep the Caddy (same engine).

Intermission over - back to over-the-top phono preamp design... .

-RNM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.