• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: TDA1541 S2 Double Crown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
May I ask how low ball were the offers ?

Late last year one sold for Eur100 (which was a rare bargain) ; Peter Daniel sold his for CAD300/Eur200 back a few years ago ; someone Ebay has been trying to sell one for Eur650 for some time...

Somewhere in between is the market price..as Jean Paul mentioned the chip alone is more than most DIY dac projects...

I bid on one of the 2 just listed...let see where this will take us.. ;o)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The chip alone is not worth that money IMO but I even meant ready made DACs. While being very good it is still a 40 year old 16 bit DAC chip in 24 bit or even DSD times, one could also try to find currently produced chips and try to get the best out of them. It is all relative. The "fear of missing out", emotions and nostalgia when things get rare are very good for the sellers. Implementation is also more difficult then usual with several PSU's etc. so the likes of AYA and Zanden get the most out of it. As often every device with a TDA1541A profits from the hype.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot but moved on as otherwise I keep hanging in the past.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
As we all know, these things are relative and subjective, some people pay for Wilson Audio speakers, some people make CD players using Boom Box mechs and dacs and many hundreds of hours of labour. I make my own cables, both interconnect and speaker using silver, in reality not expensive really, with a VFet or tube amp they are great. Others on their systems some don't like them. There are some eye watering prices out there for audio, some work, others don't. All I'm doing is reducing my collection of about 25 CD players, Mostly TDA1541 based.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
True but things that costed a few Euro in their time selling for 650 Euro is out of control. One could ask oneself if it is really worth it. What I see is the grey brigade hanging on to CD and TDA. There really is more out there to explore. It simply can not be that something out of the past is the best forever, although I miss my first Alfa Romeo a lot :)

Last edited:
As we all know, these things are relative and subjective, some people pay for Wilson Audio speakers, some people make CD players using Boom Box mechs and dacs and many hundreds of hours of labour. I make my own cables, both interconnect and speaker using silver, in reality not expensive really, with a VFet or tube amp they are great. Others on their systems some don't like them. There are some eye watering prices out there for audio, some work, others don't. All I'm doing is reducing my collection of about 25 CD players, Mostly TDA1541 based.

Your missing getting the max out of the TDA. Best is I2S direct. Im doing it this way using a Trans 384 sd card player. I only listen to Red book but frankly I don't think Im loosing out anything when compared to hi res files that I've heard.

I am listening to an S2 as I write this. I am a fan of the venerable old TDA1541a and have each of the S2, S1, R1 and standard. To my ear I agree with Peter Daniel's description. To me the S2 is in a class of its own. The rest are pretty similar. No doubt there are better DACs out there. Does the S2 sound justify the premium price over standard? No. You will see a far bigger upgrade with a clock improvement. But if you are going to use the vintage TDA1541a and want the best then its is no question the S2. And run it with great power, clock and output and it is a treat.

If you find one for a price that is not a burden to you, then grab it and enjoy it.

In 2000 I worked in small Boston based software startup. One board member complained from his Porsche 911 that the other member drove that stupid McLaren F1 with 3 seats. What an idiot he said...Now that vintage F1 sells for $15m if you can find it.
Is it better than a new 911 GT2 RS? No, but I'll bet anyone who hung onto one is glad they bought it when they could.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You'd get more attention turning up in an F1 than any porsche! In terms of one man's vision for the best car he could build I am still not sure it has been beaten.

Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) crashed his F1 badly twice and I think it still sold for around £8million.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.