• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB - modded tda1541 cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps you have found something suitable, but I'll post this in case someone has interest.

I have a Magnavox CDB560 which has been modified with an Old Colony POOGE-4 kit from 1988, based on Walt Jung's original articles in Audio Amateur. In addition, the power supply has been modified by adding the Sulzer regulator, which is the precursor to the various "Super Regulators" which have followed. (There is also a servo module from "Soloist Audio" that is mounted but not in circuit. The previous owner, after correspondence with Walt, decided to capacitor-couple the output.)

I believe the original CD player used the 1541, but I have either that or the 1541A available for inclusion.

Problem: Just as with John, I am located in the U.S. and this would require expensive and somewhat risky international shipment.

Perhaps you have found something suitable, but I'll post this in case someone has interest.

I have a Magnavox CDB560 which has been modified with an Old Colony POOGE-4 kit from 1988, based on Walt Jung's original articles in Audio Amateur. In addition, the power supply has been modified by adding the Sulzer regulator, which is the precursor to the various "Super Regulators" which have followed. (There is also a servo module from "Soloist Audio" that is mounted but not in circuit. The previous owner, after correspondence with Walt, decided to capacitor-couple the output.)

I believe the original CD player used the 1541, but I have either that or the 1541A available for inclusion.

Problem: Just as with John, I am located in the U.S. and this would require expensive and somewhat risky international shipment.

Hi thanks for this. Indeed shipping from the US is complicated as you can potentially be paying extra taxes. In any case I had to put on hold this purchase as one of my DACs failed on me and I need to look for a replacement and this time I would like to get a decent one.

Indeed, a super list - have been using it today to try and hunt a bargain. I am back on the search after solving the DAC issue. I am looking for modded/refreshed CD players. TDA1541 is one option but adding also PCM-1702 as a second option (Denon DCD-1290 for example with some upgrades).

Hi, restarting this thread as finally I bought an original CD player. Marantz and Philips made in Belgium are easy to find over here.

I am now looking for diyer/pro who could assist me in modding the player (needless to say I am happy to pay). If anyone living here in Belgium knows anyone who can do the work that would be great! I tried to call some stores around here, but with little success so trying this forum.

Cool, now find a ready made clock board with flea regulator on this forum or on ebay because that will be the biggest improvement.
Then you can update the psu capacitors if they are from 1985.
You can change the dac caps from ceramic to pps smd 220uF instead of 100uF.
You can change opamps for some better ones like burson or something.
You could also bypass muring transistors and other stuff and wire the output from opamps directly to rca.
Change the output caps near the rca for audio grade ones.
A big improvement would be to make separate psu line for every chip - or at least for the dac chip (5,-5,15V) and for the filter chip (5v). Simpler is to remove the filter and go no oversampling. Some people like it some don't. I do.
And some old masters here on the forum could give you a lot more advice and you can also find a lot of info on this forum and on the www.
Have fun. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.