• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Looking for a broken LS3/5a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the Quad ESL57 a lot and I keep reading about LS3/5a being speakers owners of those like. I'd like to swap in Falcon drivers and crossovers so really just looking for something where the drive units are in poor condition/broken. Please send me a PM if you want to discuss it since I'll receive an email notification. Thanks :wrench:

Edit: I will add that as long as I haven't updated the thread to say I've found a pair, this thread is essentially still open to looking for them, so feel free to send me a message at any time.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
I like the Quad ESL57 a lot and I keep reading about LS3/5a being speakers owners of those like.

I think that's true. Some brands of LS3/5As are better than others, and the best versions I've heard
are a decent substitute for the Quads, though a step down overall. But, don't ever get rid
of your Quads for LS3/5As (not that this is your plan) before having a long-term direct comparison
in your own system first.

you should listen to the LS3/5 first if you haven't. the Quads, IMHO, blows them away. ..... unless you are looking for deeper bass then just buy 3 12" subs from PE for 100 bucks each.

I think that's true. Some brands of LS3/5As are better than others, and the best versions I've heard
are a decent substitute for the Quads, though a step down overall. But, don't ever get rid
of your Quads for LS3/5As (not that this is your plan) before having a long-term direct comparison
in your own system first.

Good info, thanks. I will be buried with my Quads :D I have just been curious about the LS3/5a for a while now for my office where there are far more limitations with what I can do size wise.

I will keep in mind about listening to them if I am able to. I figured with social distancing it would be easier to just try it out myself.

This maybe be a dumb answer but I like the notion of having "original" cabinets, just seems like something that is pretty neat to me to see these old cabinets sitting on my desk. Otherwise I'd just build my own.

The problem is that some versions of the ls3/5a go for so much, spare cabinets are worth more to refurbish other ls3/5as that people will still ask a high price for them..

I have a feeling too that there are many fake Rogers ls3/5as out there being sold at the highest prices, those with the metal serial number plates on the rear..

The problem is that some versions of the ls3/5a go for so much, spare cabinets are worth more to refurbish other ls3/5as that people will still ask a high price for them..

I have a feeling too that there are many fake Rogers ls3/5as out there being sold at the highest prices, those with the metal serial number plates on the rear..

Understood, I am not particular here at all when it comes to brand. Really just figured I'd post this here as many people have crap sitting around that maybe they want to let go of.

If nothing comes up I'll just build my own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.