• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Mains DC blocker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a grumbling toroidal transformer ?

Sometimes this is caused by DC on the mains.

This unit blocks DC to the transformer.

Mains DC blocker up to 1500VA toroidal transformer with UK 230VAC mains.

Or up to 750VA toroidal transformer with 115VAC mains.

Simple live in/live out terminal block connections.
£4-99 each plus p+p (£3-99 UK,. £10.99 rest of world.)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi Nigel
Just what i am looking for mine buzz like a bloody fridge !
would you be able to upload pics please or give a bit more info size etc
I live in Accrington so UK postage

Glenn

Its 60mm by 50mm, its quite small.
Just a connector, two caps and a bridge rectifier on a green pcb.
Make payment of £8-98 to paypal sniffntears@talktalk.net
If you make payment as a friend you will need to send me your address.
Regards Nigel

Joined 2018
Paid Member
How do these work exactly? I have a small amount of buzz through my speakers when no signal is fed and the volume is turned up. I assume it is from my toroid based psu.
I see a rectifier so doesn't your unit provide DC?
Sorry for the newbie question!

How do these work exactly? I have a small amount of buzz through my speakers when no signal is fed and the volume is turned up. I assume it is from my toroid based psu.
I see a rectifier so doesn't your unit provide DC?
Sorry for the newbie question!

They basically stop the toroidal transformer buzzing as they remove DC on the mains.
Hum in your system is something quite different.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
EI transformers more often hum because of mechanical properties as loose (so vibrating) laminations. AFAIK they are not so sensitive as toroids for mains pollution/DC component.

The more VA the more a EI will hum it seems. However with small EI transformers coating the core may make it less hum. Only works when it has a low load and stays relatively cool. Although empirical I used slow curing epoxy for that as it was meant to pot transformers. Potting them makes them really silent but who knows how much you can load them when potted?!

Last edited:
So basically using a DC blocker for my EI transformers shouldn't make much of a difference? Maybe I will try it anyway, just for the heck of it. I'd buy a board from you Nigel, if you still have them for sale? I could mount it in an external enclosure so I can test different equipment with it.

I might potting the transformer at a later stage too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.