• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted PASS Aleph 3 or FW F5, F6, J2...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just do not have the skills to build from scratch, looking for some decent papa class A amp of these classic models, complete build and tested, I don't want to buy from these nasty China eBay sellers, even though they seem promising as far as the look, but IMHO it is completely illegal to sell others project without authorization, and I do not have stomach to give my money to these *****.
So I wonder if there is some mate here who is aiming to start another project and want to pass the old one to a newbie interested in pure class A sound. PM are preferred.

Hi Rayma, I am not bragging, so don't take me wrong, but my set is a JBL L300, Jubal, Rogers LS3/5a 15ohms and a 801 Matrix BW. I probably will use it with the Jubals, 25w at minimum is what I want. That's why I thought of Aleph 3, but the FW also can accomplish my need. The 801 are very demanding of power and the Rogers plays better with tubes, it's a 83dB/W low sensitivity. What you think will suit me best?

Joined 2011
JBL L300, Jubal, Rogers LS3/5a 15ohms and a 801 Matrix BW. I probably will use it
with the Jubals, 25w at minimum is what I want. That's why I thought of Aleph 3,
but the FW also can accomplish my need.

I have several different pairs of speakers myself, and understand.
Agreed about the LS3/5A (having owned a pair of Spendors for 40 years),
and that the JBLs are likely your best bet with a 25W class A amp.

See which NP model(s) happen to be on the block here. It's hard to tell
how well a combination will work without actually trying it out, though.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have an Amp Camp Amp that's available. It has an on-board linear power supply instead of the dual laptop PSUs. Transformer is 400VA Antek with shield. I don't remember the filtering capacitance per channel but would guess it's at least 20,000 mfd. Cased in a Dissipante 2U. It's not on your list but is a very nice amp. I am selling because I'm building another Amp camp amp with dual amps per channel. If you're interested, I can send photos and provide more information.

I quickly looked up Jubals. the prevailing opinion is that they have a hot i.e very detailed top from the 077 tweeter. The mid seems downplayed in comparison and they are preferred to be listened to raised on stands to bring up mid closer to ear height.

From that description Aleph30 (which can also be run with balanced input) would be a good match. I had them biased at 0.7xA per fet with 25.5V rails so ~35W/chan. Alephs are all about warm midrange (at the expense of somewhat loose bass control and downplayed top). they are best used with 8ohm speakers since they generate a lot of heat driving 4ohm loads.

You definitely do not want an F5 which is just the opposite, i.e. driving detail across a large bandwidth. I have tried both. I still use F5 to drive the bass unit on a multi amped speaker.

I used Aleph30 for about a year and the boards are now sitting in a box fully assembled with matched fets etc. I am not sure I could bring myself to part with them even though it is not likely I will use them again (I already have too many great amps). and you would have to make a box with a powersupply (a simple CRC) and check a few fine adjustments based on your heatsink performance. and it sounds like you are looking for a plug and play solution (though on a DIY forum).

you can read about some of my impressions here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/312143-power-amp-aleph-5-a.html#post5184094

Last edited:
they are best used with 8ohm speakers since they generate a lot of heat driving 4ohm loads.

Sorry that I come in but from where did you came with this affirmation?

They are best used with 8ohm speakers when they are low biased like yours were. Try to push some current in the output stage and you`ll see that they sound awesome with 4ohm speakers also... even lower impedance.

The only thing that will make these amps to run hotter is running higher currents in the output stage.

they are best used with 8ohm speakers since they generate a lot of heat driving 4ohm loads.

No, you actually said that changing the load from 8ohm to 4ohm will make the amps generate a lot(more?) of heat.

Since these amps are single ended class A the output stage will never leave class A and thus will never run at currents higher than the bias current(which means going in class AB like and F5 would do).

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.