• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Selling Leak Stereo 20: replace components or not??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am selling a pretty mint stereo 20. I am not sure if I should replace all the caps and resistors first or sell it as it is. Whats going to get the most money on an Ebay auction? It is exactly as is was when it came out of the factory, and if it was a watch I wouldn't touch it. However it is not a watch, i wouldn't switch it on as it is!!
Any thoughts??

What is your time worth

I am selling a pretty mint stereo 20. I am not sure if I should replace all the caps and resistors first or sell it as it is. Whats going to get the most money on an Ebay auction? It is exactly as is was when it came out of the factory, and if it was a watch I wouldn't touch it. However it is not a watch, i wouldn't switch it on as it is!!
Any thoughts??

You will get more money with all the caps and resistors replaced. However $resistors + $caps + $time will not be more then what you get on ebay.

1. how much fun would you have doing this.
2. How much is your time worth.
3. What else could you be doing for this time and extra money.

More an economic question. My 2 cents.

You should check/reform the PS caps and check the coupling caps for value/ leaks and the resistors for drift. You should also check bias points and that the amp works fine for at least a week. Then it's ready for the market. Replacing all passives is expensive, time consuming and often changes the character of sound in an undesired manner.

I'd leave it. Something like this is probably bought by an enthusiast who will have their own ideas of what they want to do to it.
I concur.

That said, I did recap a McIntosh MX-110 - but that was because it was a non-runner when I got it and I didn't feel like troubleshooting and narrowing down the issues. In addition to a few bad tubes, I replaced all the original electrolytics and swapped in diodes for the selenium rectifiers. In addition, I swapped "vintage looking" polyester or polypropylene caps for the ceramics in the signal path. I really took my time, especially with regard to preserving wire dress and general layout, and amazed even myself with the quality of workmanship.

It sold for a fair price on eBay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.