• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FREE: Old issues of Wireless World, Practical Wireless and Radio Constructor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Dad passed away recently, and I’m looking to find good new homes for his magazines. There are:
· 199 issues of Wireless World (from the 50s, 60s, 70s and early 80s);
· 40 issues of Practical Wireless (from the 50s and 60s)
· 90 issues of Radio Constructor (almost all from the 60s).

Their condition is generally quite good, but with some rusty staples and a few tears. I can provide a full list of dates and conditions if needed.

The ideal is to find somebody who is prepared to come and pick them all up (they’re in Coventry, England), but I’m prepared to listen to other notions.

If you can help me save them from the paper recycler, send me a PM. I know that for them to go someone who could properly appreciate them would have pleased my Dad very much.

If you giving them away for free, I would hope that they would
end up with someone with a scanner, and a willingness to share
with other enthusiasts. These resources are good source of
valuable ideas, and can help many people, not just one.
Especially, in situation, like this.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
May I suggest digitising and burning to a DVD???
How many people need to contribute the same amount to cover the shipping?
A copy of the disk in return perhaps.
PM me you PP address and you will have $10- and I'll not buy the tweeters I'm looking at.
pay-it forward

There is a thing in the US called media mail, part of our USPS that allows the mailing of media (like this) at a substantially lower rate. I am not sure of something like this may be available...also, mail sent from a military base can be sent much cheaper....finding a solder stationed there might be advantageous but likely wishful at best....
Can you give me an estimate of the size of boxes it would require, the number of them, and their weight? With that info I will do some research into shipping costs...even surface would be an option. This may very well cost a couple hundred dollars or more but, I bet funds could be acquired to save these and put them to good use. I would be williing to put at least $100 toward the effort.

Based on the 1975 Wireless World I mentioned above, the total weight would be 114kg or 250 lbs. This is probably a somewhat high estimate, as some of the magazines are less bulky than a 70s Wireless World.

In terms of volume, the stack of 340 magazines is about 10 feet high, so given a magazine size of roughly 8" x 12", we're talking around 7 cubic feet, or 5 standard 1.5 cu ft book boxes, which are 16" x 12" x 12".

I hope this helps.

Man, this is an ordeal....I believe Douglas Self has a website where he was posting electronic copies of various editions of these volumes....I wonder where he is located and if he would be interested in these and ultimately posting them all on his site....

Maybe I need to plan my next vacation to the UK and bring a few big suitcases.....

Man, this is an ordeal....I believe Douglas Self has a website where he was posting electronic copies of various editions of these volumes....I wonder where he is located and if he would be interested in these and ultimately posting them all on his site....

I already have all the WW dates on offer. It was me that directed dij to diyAudio.

It would be truly great if someone (or more likely a team) could scan the lot; ideally all the ads too, because as time passes they become very informative.
That would however be a major mission.

I have to say I don't trust libraries to scan all the books they throw away.

My WW archive is at:
The Wireless World Archive

It covers roughly 1947 - 1964, but selected audio topics only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.