• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Beyma 15xa38nd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a pair of those from this supplier:
PLUS - Elektronik Lautsprecher & Elektronik - Onlineshop
First I wanted to get some P-audio coax drivers because they were cheaper but he ran into problems communicating with the factory in Thailand (quote: 'like chickens without heads').

I then chose the somewhat more expensive Beyma drivers and haven't had a single regret about it. They are fantastic!. Compared to a pair of Tannoy 15' 385 Golds (the model from the Westminister horns) they sound much better in any way I can think of. The Tannoys sound great at low volumes but driven to loud volume they get an unpleasant, distorted sound, IMO. The Beymas still play clean and undistorted long after my ears are distorting. This was verified by turning up the volume until I heard distinct distortion, then put in my full-range linear musicians ear-plugs - tried both the 15 and 25 dB dampenings - The distortion was clearly an artefact of my ears, not the speakers) . This was done at about 5 meters listening distance. You would need a VERY large room to ever be able to run these babys to within their limit.

I am currently using them in a temporary (well, what isn't?) set-up: I made a pair of quick-and-dirty 90 liter closed cabinets out of some MDF leftovers from the 'real' boxes which are not yet finished. I use an active crossover (24 dB/octave - 1500 Hz) and bi-amping. In these small, closed boxes the bass volume is a little too thin for my taste (I never liked 'linear' much - I'm one of those people who always fiddle around with the tone controls whenever I change a CD or the listening volume). But with a little (that would probably in some peoples opinion be 'a lot of'..) boost around 80 Hz they sound fantastic. For low listening levels I use them 3-way together with an active sub (setting the crossover frequency to the lowest possible on my system, which is 44 Hz. All in all this sounds so good that I have doubts about bothering with building the bass-reflex boxes I originally planned. At least I'm in no hurry. I would say that basically they sound great. Whatever sort and size of box you put them in, whatever amp you've got handy to drive them with and however you eqalize and mistreat them, is just small details. The Beyma 15XA38NDs just play well. Like you could put Placido Domingo in a room with terrible acoustics, throw woolen blankets over his head, record him singing with a crappy dictaphone via a noisy phone line, broadcast it over AM and play him back on a cheap car-radio. There would be no way of disguising the fact that he is a great singer, no matter what ;-)

It has been almost one one year since your post so I don't know if it still has any interest. But if you want to hear them, we only live 85 km apart (Ballerup, Denmark). You can always PM me for my adress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.