• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TT Parts - Teres platter/motor, Maplenoll Bearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finally decided to admit to myself that I'm never going to get around to building my uber-table, and so am somewhat reluctantly listing the parts for sale.

Teres Platter and Motor/Controller

I have a Platter and motor/controller back from the diy-days of the Teres project. The platter is a frosted acrylic without any of the later additional mass loading. It was a 'blem' due to some superficial defects and some visible pockets between the glued-up acrylic layers. Structurally it appears to be fine, so I'm not sure what if any audible impact the blemishes may have. The strobe disc is already mounted. Not that I can see how it matters, but this is unused - it's been in a box since I got it from Chris ~10 or so years ago. I don't know for sure, but I believe that the dimensions of the platter are compatible with the bearing still available on the Teres site. (or if you're up for a bit of fabrication, pair it with my Maplenoll air bearing below)

The motor/controller is also new and I believe it's complete including the strobe sensor (tiny little 4-pin component that is probably not visible in the photos). It has a Maxon motor (the only text on it I can read is 10189 - not sure whether that's a model number or a serial number). It includes the heavy brass top plate and the power transformer and hook up wire (also used for wiring the sensor, I think).

Not willing to split these up at the moment. If I get strong interest in each piece individually that may change.

Asking $225 for the combo, but open to offers if this seems out of line - I haven't been following the analog scene much recently.

Maplenoll Athena air bearing

I have the platter air-bearing from a Maplenoll Athena for sale. It comes with the original Athena platter (metal encased in a polymer coating - the left one in the photo) plus a bonus cast polyester resin platter that I have kicking around but seems like it might be a good match (right in the photo - the abrasion visible is where I lapped it to flatten it). This also includes the air pump from the Athena (finished in a lovely oak veneer :)). I fired this up for testing purposes and it still seems to work fine - it takes many minutes to come to a stop from an approximately-33rpm-manual-spin. The Athena belt used the air bearing for drive rather than the platter which may mean it needs a slower motor and/or smaller pulley than usual if you're set up for platter drive.

Note that this bearing appears to be quite happy with the Teres platter, but this pairing would require fabricating an appropriate spindle mechanism to center the platter on the bearing. Not a huge task, but one that I obviously never quite got around to. It would also require a new strobe disk on the platter, since the existing one is smaller than the bearing diameter, and so is hidden.

And before you ask, no I don't have the tonearm air bearing. I thought I did, but it wasn't in the same box as the rest of the analog gear so I don't know what happened to it.

No solid idea what this is worth, but I'll put the asking price at $175 plus actual shipping.

If you want to package the Teres stuff with the Maplenoll bearing you can have the package for $350 total plus shipping.

Attachments

• teres_stuff.JPG
    teres_stuff.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 324
  • athena_all.JPG
    athena_all.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 333
  • athena_platter.JPG
    athena_platter.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 303
I'm interested in the platter only if you are willing to split it away from the motor.

Folks, that motor assembly is excellent (Maxon motor). Not only that, but right now on the Teres site, Chris is selling off some battery trickle chargers. So for $25 you can buy the trickle charger that will run that motor, really really nice combo. Also, you can print off a new strobe disc from Teres, affix to the bottom of your existing platter and that motor will drive any platter. Give the platter a push, or press the button and the platter starts, stop it with your hand or press button again and it stops. Gives both 33 and 45 rpm - controller is smart that when its up to speed it only reads the speed from the strobe a low rates so the motor isn't "hunting" continuously.

Have I helped!?

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.