Cone movement vs. frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sreten is right (as usual). If the frequency is lowered, the cone moves more. If the box is a closed box, the cone amplitude will be approximately proportional to 1/f² down to the cutoff frequency of the subwoofer. Below that frequency the amplitude of the cone will be approximately constant, but the sound level will decrease, approximately proportional to f².

Hi,
I am kind of new to this speaker lark, but that does not sound right.

I imagine a DC of 1Volt will cause the speaker Voice Coil to move to a new position. Let's suppose for a moment it moves 5mm.
Now apply a -1Vdc to the speaker and it will move the other way 5mm( provided the motor is symetrical).
Now apply a very low frequency square wave of 2Vpp and the speaker will move 10mmpp i.e. +-5mm.
Now apply a very low frequency sine wave of 2Vpp and again the speaker cone will move +-5mm (10mmpp).

I imagine that this speaker will continue to move 10mmpp as the frequency is increased to audio frequencies and continue to do so through some of the audio range.
A big exception is the range around resonance when the movement will increase substantially.

At high frequency the movement will decrease from the standard 10mmpp.
What is the hf displacement reduction frequency? I suspect it is related to energy absorbed by accelerating the cone and the inductance of the VC. Any predictions?

AndrewT said:
Hi,
I am kind of new to this speaker lark, but that does not sound right.

Svante and sreten know what they are speaking of.

At DC, the only thing that matters is stiffness, at ~3x resonance and up all that matters is mass, neglecting inductance. At resonance, the contributions of stiffness and mass are equal, and damping dominates.

1/f^2 is correct - every time you halve frequency, excursion increases by 4 for the same SPL. The reason sealed boxes don't double with each halving below resonance is because the 12dB/oct rolloff reduces excursion requirements.

A speaker that had constant excursion with frequency would have a 12dB/oct rising response....

The excursion formula depends on whether the speaker is enclosed or not and what sort of enclosure there is. In free air, it acts the same as if it were in a very large box - like 10000 cubic feet or so so you can enter that into a program that calculates escursion.

I have WinISD beta but it does not model the excursion of the driver. I just downloaded the pro version but it is asking for parameters of the driver that I don't have.

Is there a formula for excursion vs frequency for a ported enclosure? It is tuned to 14 Hertz. I know that around the tuning frequency the cone of the driver won't be moving much and most of the SPL will be coming from the port. So there probably is a complex relationship between the two, but for higher frequencies I would imagine there is a formula.

1/f^2 is correct - every time you halve frequency, excursion increases by 4 for the same SPL.
That sounds right.
Lets say if a subwoofer was held in free-air and the amplitude was constant and the frequency was swept from 100 Hertz down
he is asking about sweeping a constant amplitude and in free air. That is NOT constant SPL.
I think the three of you are talking about a constant SPL formula when the enquirer is asking about sweeping a constant signal voltage.

AndrewT said:

I think the three of you are talking about a constant SPL formula when
the enquirer is asking about sweeping a constant signal voltage.

Hi,

My assumption is he meant constant SPL with a theorectical
driver that has a flat response and constant voltage drive.

We have all stated the above does reflect a practical reality.

:)/sreten.

Maybe this graph helps of a butterworth aligned closed box helps?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The black curve is the response of the system, the red is the cone amplitude. Above the cutoff frequency (50 Hz) the cone amplitude is tilted by -12 dB/oct but the response is flat. Below the same frequency the response tilts by 12 dB/oct and the cone amplitude is flat.

It is at the low frequencies that the intiution works best.

AndrewT said:
I imagine a DC of 1Volt will cause the speaker Voice Coil to move to a new position. Let's suppose for a moment it moves 5mm.

One of the concerns might be that the cone does not move a certain amount with DC. It attempts to move the coil out of the gap and only comes to a halt because of mechanical restrictions of the suspension.

Nichol1997 said:
I am looking for the mathematical relationship between cone movement versus frequency.

It may be indirect, but go to
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported3.htm

The SPLmax is the SPL at Xmax+15% assuming that the suspension is linear. Excursion and SPL will actually be slightly less than predicted due to nonlinearities.

In the simple formulas on that page, you can use Fb=0 to simulate a sealed box.

Have fun!

Cal Weldon said:
One of the concerns might be that the cone does not move a certain amount with DC. It attempts to move the coil out of the gap and only comes to a halt because of mechanical restrictions of the suspension.

Just the musings of an idiot here (me, not Cal), but could it be that there is a direct relationship between wave length and excursion for a given SPL?

As Cal points out, a DC signal just pushes the cone until it hits some sort of physical restriction. I suppose there is no specific SPL per se in a DC thud.

And a sine wave pushes out to its apex, then reverses until its nadir. So, if the cone were to move at a constant speed (constant voltage?), a low frequency wave would have more time, and thus distance, to travel before reversing direction than a higher frequency.

But, is this relationship linear with frequency for a given voltage? Squared for a given SPL?

max

sreten said:
My assumption is he meant constant SPL with a theorectical
driver that has a flat response and constant voltage drive.
yes, all three of you forgot to read the question.

Cal Weldon said:
That is almost how a speaker works in a linear fashion (+- small non linearites). Apply 1mV and it moves 1unit. Apply 10mV and it moves 10units. Apply 1V and it moves 1000units. Apply a battery (1v5) and it moves 1500units. Try it!!!

Originally posted by maxro
Just the musings of an idiot here (me, not Cal), but could it be that there is a direct relationship between wave length and excursion for a given SPL?
That is exactly the relationship that Sreten & Co. were quoting.
As Cal points out, a DC signal just pushes the cone until it hits some sort of physical restriction. I suppose there is no specific SPL per se in a DC thud.
not quite, it doesn't hit a stop. The force generated by the coil reacting against the magnetic field BALANCES the force from the surround and spider. increase the drive force (more current) and the suspension has to displace farther to generate more restoring force to maintain the balance (for every force there is an equal and opposite reaction, some quote by a long dead Englishmen, Yeah I know sometimes the English get it right).
And a sine wave pushes out to its apex, then reverses until its nadir. So, if the cone were to move at a constant speed (constant voltage?) [NO NO NO] a low frequency wave would have more time, and thus distance, to travel before reversing direction than a higher frequency.
a low frequency at constant voltage drive moves at low speed and a high frequency moves at high speed. Now change it to constant power input (nearly constant SPL) and the SPEED of cone movement is substantially constant for constant power (that is my understanding of constant SPL, am I wrong?).
But, is this relationship linear with frequency for a given voltage? Squared for a given SPL?
Good question, Clarify it for all of us?

Nichol1997 said:
I am looking for the mathematical relationship between cone movement versus frequency.

Actually I missed this very clear question in the very first post...

The complex formulation of the cone amplitude in a closed box is:

x(w) = K / (1 + jw/(Qtc*wc) + (jw/wc)²)

Neglecting the phase, by taking the absolute value this turns into:

|x(w)| = K / sqrt( (1-(w/wc)²)² + (w/(Qtc*wc))² )

...where wc is 2*pi*fc, fc is the resonant frequency in the box, Qtc is the Q of the driver mounted in the box.

It can be seen that at low frequencies this turns into

|x(wlow)|=K

ie independent of frequency, and for hight frequencies:

|x(whigh)|=K / (w/wc)²

ie sloping by -12dB/octave (due to the 1/w² relation).

Hope I got it right... :)

a low frequency at constant voltage drive moves at low speed and a high frequency moves at high speed. Now change it to constant power input (nearly constant SPL) and the SPEED of cone movement is substantially constant for constant power (that is my understanding of constant SPL, am I wrong?).

the power of a voltage sine wave doesn't depend on its frequency, at a given constant amplitude. unless the load the wave is applied to is frequency dependant, of course.
constant SPL is constant power (power of the electric signal)(with a flat response speaker), and constant power is constant amplitude (amplitude of the electric signal) (with the same flat response speaker, wich also has a constant impedance). in order to fullfill all these conditions, this speaker has to increase its excursion to continue dlivering constant SPL, as frequency decreases.

having said all that, this is wrong:
"a low frequency at constant voltage drive moves at low speed and a high frequency moves at high speed"

Hi,
sounds like my thinking is **** for elbow. (damned dictionary won't let me use a collocquial phrase).
At DC, the only thing that matters is stiffness, at ~3x resonance and up all that matters is mass, neglecting inductance. At resonance, the contributions of stiffness and mass are equal, and damping dominates.

1/f^2 is correct - every time you halve frequency, excursion increases by 4 for the same SPL. The reason sealed boxes don't double with each halving below resonance is because the 12dB/oct rolloff reduces excursion requirements.

A speaker that had constant excursion with frequency would have a 12dB/oct rising response....

The excursion formula depends on whether the speaker is enclosed or not and what sort of enclosure there is. In free air, it acts the same as if it were in a very large box - like 10000 cubic feet or so so you can enter that into a program that calculates escursion.
seems to be saying that the constant amplitude I have been arguing ONLY applies below resonance.
Is that right?

I think this needs clarification:

At low frequencies, below resonance fs, this is true:

-The movement is spring controlled ie x=F*Cms *
-The cone excursion is proportional to the applied voltage.
-The cone velocity (speed) is iproportional to f.
-The cone acceleration is proportional to f².

At higher frequencies, above the resonance fs, this is true:

-The movement is mass controlled ie a=F/Mms **
-The cone acceleration is proportional to the applied voltage.
-The cone velocity (speed) is proportional to 1/f.
-The cone excursion is proportional to 1/f².

*Cms is the compliance of the driver, x is the excursion, F is the driving force (infinite baffle assumed)

** Mms is the moving mass of the driver, a is cone acceleration.

Reactions: 1 user
AndrewT said:
Thanks Svante.
That is very clear.

Is it possible to give such clarity when mounted in either a sealed box or a vented box or a transmission line?

Sealed box is principally identical, it is just that the resonace frequency is slightly shifted upwards.

Bass reflex box is similar except around the helmholtz (box) resonance where the cone amplitude has a local minimum.

Tranmission line is similar to the bass-reflex box, in turn.

So, for the understanding, they are pretty much the same, at least a bit away from the system resonances.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.