Brass sub box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Haha this might seem like a ridiculous question :confused: but would it work to make a sub enclosure out of a brass buddha :D :D :bigeyes: :dodgy: I realize it might reasonate :bawling: and i assume theres a reason they dont make metal speaker boxes :rolleyes: I plan on making it a down firing sub with the magfnet in the buddha and the cone firing towards the floor. So if you think this is a terrible idea please lt me know.

thank you kindly

Possible? Yeah sure. Terrible idea? Maybe. Assuming the buddha
is completely sealed and thats the tye of enclosure your going
for then it might not be terrible, as long as the statues internal
volume matches the specs required by your 'woofer. The main
problems with your project is the location, and the material its
made of. Positioning the sub on the underside of the statue is
ok as long as it doesnt strike anything when in use.(Check its
x-max rating). And as for the material... Even though it doesnt
flex, resonance may be a problem unless your application is pretty
low-powered.

Piglicker,

I think it's a great idea. Probably the only resonance control needed would be in the base due to the non-parallel shape of the rest of the interior. I'd go with some kind of interior coating just in case there are some pinhole leaks in the brass. Be sure to use a great quality driver for a one of a kind sub like that.

I'm sure a brass buddha would ring, but a subwoofer probably wouldn't produce these frequencies to start with.

I think it's a great idea. Would you consider painting the inside with bitumen? I think this could help, (like the way they do with car doors).

This is just a quick note about something you may not have considered. Before I go any further, let me just say that I really have no feelings one way or the other.

I don't personally know any Buddhists but I am pretty sure the Buddha statues are very sacred to them and any mods (painting evil blood dripping faces on them, positioning them to interact with other statues, sticking a big woofer up his bum) are extemely offensive to the religious community. By the way, I've actually seen the first two examples, but not the third - yet.

I like the idea of a solid enclosure and it would certainly be a conversation piece, but the conversation that ensues might not be about killer bass.

Piglicker,

Don't worry if it's one of those fat guy statues. They aren't THE Buddha and aren't religious in nature. The fat ones are essentially just like jolly fat guys and no one could take offense except a non-Buddhist overly worried about political and religious correctness. Check out http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/20773 .

Kinda cool here in the mountains tonight, so it's time to get out one of those special fire starting logs for a fire. I live in the free world and support the Danes' right to joke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.