Dayton Titanic MkIII 15" sub bottom out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i finally got my sub from parts express.so far i'm not impressed with the sound quality.my 10 vifa sub blows the dayton away for sound quality.also it bottoms out too easily.i have it in a 3.75 ft3 sealed box driven by the ada1200.i have the amp on less than half gain.mind you it is pretty loud,but not what i expect from this sub.is the box too large,causing the sub to bottom out???or maybe it's the set up of the ada1200.anybody familiar with this amp

thanks

FIRST check placement.

second check for big leaks in the box

third start with your EQ flat, that could be wasting all your power up high or something.

fourth, calibrate the sub PROEPRLY, i know when i got my new sub which was ALOT flatter and extended deeper i percieved the bass as quieter, and made them +5db hot as compared to my names :O

make sure the spider is glued to the vc/basket assembly, theyve been having problems with that, if the spiderwasnt attatched to the basket that would make itbottom out REALLY easily.

try all that and see if it works

also, how big is your room, what are you using the sub for (movies? music? what kind of music?), if you have a big room a ported box may be better for you, since you can get ALOT more spl down low with a ported design(usually). and when properly implimented an overdamped poorted box can have VERY similar GD to a sealed box.

thanks for the advice.i have it placed against a wall need a corner.my room is 25 x 30.i got it for movies.can't bare to use it for music-sounds horrible.i want to stay sealed as i bought the adire ada1200 for this purpose.i think i need to figure out this the eq-ing on the sub amp more.i agree that i'm probaly wasting x-max on the really low frequences(below 20hz) than i don't need

btw:do you have the same sub

i have a very similar one(atlas 15), mine has less power handling (rated 300rms, but ltso of car audio guys run em full tilt with 500 watts each.)and less xmax(only18mmwith atlas 15), in my box (6.5cuft tuned to 20hz)in my 12x10 room it gets LOW and peaks at aroudn 120db at 40hz(at 2m). not this is with 240 watts, and i have the advantage of a tiny room.

im surprised that your titanic isnt very loud. Maybe a ported box is in order fi its mainly for ht. For ht you usually want a house curve anyway so that those low frequencies really stand out and shake you around.

search google for a program called WinISD pro beta(alpha maybe?), download it, put in your driver paramenteres and try and model out an SBB4 and EBS3 design.

One 15inch subwoofer for a room that big?

Hi chainenoble,

You say your room is 25 x 30. It that in feet? How high are your ceilings?

You can't have one 15inch woofer filling a room that's 25 feet by 30 feet with first octave bass. That's just too much air and not enough cone. I have a room that's 25 feet by 25 feet with 13 foot ceilings and I plan to use 8 of the same drivers as you. I'll be using an Infinite Baffle with 2000 cubic feet of enclosure space. The idea is to not overdrive the woofer and yet achieve bass at 17hz.

Something to think about.

John Inlow :D

Thats 750 sq.ft.... you need two of those...

I got 300 sq.ft..and I have set up 2 sealed 5.5 cu.ft. Temptests..powered by a 1500 watt stereo amp...

Altough I m quiet surprised it's bottoming out that easy...have you visually checked all moving parts on it..spider..coil leads...cone..ect..to see if al is well? Do you suspect a flaw in it..?

hi guys thanks for the responses.heres a pic.you see the adire ada 1200 separate. if i put everyting in the same box-way too heavy. i do realize my room is large for 1 15" woofer. 25'x30'x14' high ceilings.modeled in bbpro i get a f3 of 17hz.thats with a bass boost of 6db per octive at 45hz.i had the ada1200 set at 12db boost,2.5 octive bandwith set to about 40 hz.
i don't know how to calculate my f3 at those settings,can anybody tell me?? but i suspect i was running this sub very low,considering the size of the box.i inspected the woofer and spider-everything seams to be find.i will install .5-1 cubic foot of sand to make the box smaller

Attachments

• imgp1104.jpg
    imgp1104.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 427
stuff for you... from the inner workings of WinISD

You're currently 3db down at 38hz in your 3.75 cubic foot enclosure. You're running at 88db 1w1m. 400 watts keeps you near or below Xmax above 20hz--Xmax will be exceeded at 17hz. Max SPL 111 to 114db @ one meter. In a sealed enclosure, this is not a very effective sub without EQ. With EQ, you can turn it into a monster. You should use a first-order highpass filter at 20hz.

Every time you double the distance you lose 6db, so keep it close.

I would run the same driver in a ported, 12-1/2 foot box tuned to 16hz, EQ'd parametrically with 5db gain-Q of 1 @ 20hz, not to mention a first-order high pass filter at 20hz. This keeps you below Xmax in the deep-deep end. I would use 8 of these units. Then you have 129db with 1600 watts--running safely and flat to a 3db down at 15.35hz.

John :)

BTW, if you want your current box flat: 10db gain at 20hz parametric EQ with 1.75 of Q. You get to 20hz with 105db at one meter. You're limited to 43 watts or you exceed Xmax.

My thoughts

I have the HF 12" Dayton sub in a ported design. Im using rythmik audio plate amp 350watts. It bottom out during some intense LFE segments. Sounded better then anything ive heard nonetheless. I fixed my problem by using the hight level speaker input on the back of the plate. It now handles everything a throw at it. try it if you have the high level inputs. A lot people dont realize its a better hook up anyway. You may also want turn the low pass filter all the way to 180 on the sub-plate if your receiver is currently filtering the LFE.

i had the ada1200 set at 12db boost,2.5 octive bandwith set to about 40 hz.
That is probably the single biggest reason that the driver is bottoming out.

You didn't mention if the boost was parametric, 2nd order peaking or shelving and what the Q of the filter was set to ??
Does the amp have a infrasonic HP filter - if so what is it set to ??

Best recommendation would be to back off the boost to something more reasonable than 12db of boost - ie maybe 3db and then slowly bring it up to maybe a max of 6db.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes indeed eight of 'em works well

Hi chainenoble,

You say your room is 25 x 30. It that in feet? How high are your ceilings?

You can't have one 15inch woofer filling a room that's 25 feet by 30 feet with first octave bass. That's just too much air and not enough cone. I have a room that's 25 feet by 25 feet with 13 foot ceilings and I plan to use 8 of the same drivers as you. I'll be using an Infinite Baffle with 2000 cubic feet of enclosure space. The idea is to not overdrive the woofer and yet achieve bass at 17hz.

Something to think about.

John Inlow :D

Here's how I did mine :

Attachments

• IB semi done 004.jpg
    IB semi done 004.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 150
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.