Very very very small sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Does anyubody have any experience of building a very small sub, like the REL Q400E? Or does anyboidy have any comments about small cab design? I am thinking of a sealed cabinet, maybe driven from a hypex class-d amp if not anybody has any comments?

If there are any designs already made that would be even better, why reinvent the wheel...

I am grateful for anything, I am new to speaker DIY (I am a synth and studio equipment DIY guy) and need all the help I can get ;)

Regards

Robert

Well I currently am running a Car audio sub at home, Elemental Designs e8A, a dual 4 ohm 8" sub from a couple of years ago, in a 12l box with a Coral Electronics (Peerless XLS) 10" passive radiator, the system is tuned to 25Hz and hits the low notes with authority! You could run this sub in a sealed cabinet with Linkwitz transform (it has about 16mm Xmax one way) and drop it in a box half that size (that would be a cube of about 9.5" using 18mm MDF and a double thickness baffle to make the sub flush), now that is a little sub.

If you want some really cheap small speakers read my thread -
MY LITTLE SPEAKERS - Ive taken 2 really cheap units and made them
out perform the usual midi offerings - I,m still dumbstruck by them
but I suppose that wouldn't impress many here! - anyway if you do go down this road email me and Ill send you some piccys

Bill.

Thanks for answers!

It doesn't have to be cheap, I just want the best I can get from the size...

Has anybody any info on the plate amps from www.hypex.nl , there is no info about them on their site? I have built class-d amps before and I like the idea of them.

I noticed that these guys sells a sub, as well as the separate parts, that can be an inspiration.
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200.htm

Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.