SPL@2.83V or SPL@1W ? what is right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it is matter........

i want to buy this subwoofer.....to highest SPL

or another subwoofer....

so i comper this subwoofer to other one...

i put the t\s data subwoofer to check ths loudest subwoofer...

so....if i put to the winisd the 85dB SPL@1M it is not loud for me..
and the secend subwoofer is stronger..

but if i put the SPL@2.83V 95dB it is very strong to me and it will be good.......

so what i need to put the winisd? 95db? or 85db?

tamir

OK, I see. I can't give much more advice other than that you can increase amplifier power to compensate if you don't reach your SPL requirements. And manufacturers' data can often be off by significant margins (or SPL figures can be inflated intentionally). Better if you can measure them yourself.

Hi there Astro

WinISD uses the SPL @ 1W @ 1m value. In your case, 85.3 is the correct one to use.

You can convert from one measure to the other with an equation that includes the resistance of the driver. See my "Driver parameter conversions" page for the details:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/bcolliso/driver-conversions.htm

If you wish to compare drivers, where one or more are described using the 2.83v (Voltage sensistivity) figure, convert their figures to the Power sensitivity measure. For DVC drivers make sure you are using the correct figure for the wiring option you are going to use (series or parallel connection)

regards
Collo

Sensitivity reading like this should not be used to compair how loud subwoofer will be in real life when modeling in software.

There are so many ways to skew the numbers and then theres the argument than a fair few believe sensitivity numbers mean very little in the bass region...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.