pimp my deere!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a recent owner of a brand spankin new john deere l111 lawn tractor, i noticed it has a 12 volt battery, thats right, 12. This got me thinking...

theres space for a small sub box, maybe housing an 8" and i could build a HU into the sub box (so i dont have to cut up my deere). The only thing that im uncertain about is where to mount the speakers.

I plan to run a small dvc 8 off of the rear hu outputs, and the two front speakers off the front hu outputs, im not looking for alot of spl, just something to drive around in, that will double as a nice little boombox when im not mowing and jsut hanging out with my friends (riding the soon-to-be box jump)

Anyway, now for the important question...will it work? if i need to i can go to a bigger battery (not ALOT bigger, but a bit bigger for sure)

ive accounted for water too BTW(plexiglass cover that i have to lift to press button on HU but has opening around the sides for the sub to breathe.

its different but interesting none the less. I dont think youll get much real low end but I mean its a lawn tractor. I would only try sealed and youdd want a passive low pass for the sub. Ever looked into those aura bass shakers? There will be alot of vibrations from the tractor but this wouldnt need a box so I think may be better suited to what u want. Would look cool to mount the sub inverted so you see the magnet though. Potiental theft risk? A deck is normally fused at 20A but I dont know what they have for alt.

its pretty noisy when in mow mode, but when the mower isnt engaged and its in tractor mode, its not that loud, but you need to talk loud to hear yourself over it.

theft risk isnt too much of a problem, the new problem is what the people across the street will think with me blasting music for a little under two hours( it would have to be louder than the mower, and they can deffinately hear the mower over there) i wasnt aiming for much low end, maybe some 50hz stuff.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Stephan,

I would just get myself a portable CD player with headphones..

1. You can hear it fine
2. The neighbours can't
3. Low cost
4. No warranty concerns with tractor.
5. Take it with you when you're finished.

Are you just trying to have fun or what? :D
If you're really 14 then how do you have a new tractor that you're allowed to mess with?

Cal

Cal Weldon said:
Stephan,

I would just get myself a portable CD player with headphones..

1. You can hear it fine
2. The neighbours can't
3. Low cost
4. No warranty concerns with tractor.
5. Take it with you when you're finished.

Are you just trying to have fun or what? :D
If you're really 14 then how do you have a new tractor that you're allowed to mess with?

Cal
Probably a better solution. Is the alternator designed to support other electronic devices like an HU? Also, if you connect the sub that way, the VC's will be recieving different signals; left and right. It's an interesting idea for sure, I've seen wheelchairs, bicycles, etc. with car audio equipment, but I don't think you'll get respectable results without having to spend a ton of money. But then again its not my money. :D

FIRST of all all the bass the sub will be getting is non directional, so same recording on both channels, but even if it wasnt, read adires whitepaper on dual vc drivers, it would be fine.

it actually has a 12v outlet like in your car, to power other stuff, so it should be ok power wise.

its gonna take some power to out SPL the tractor...
think about it

lets say you hold a constant 105dB from the tractor

with a ported enclsore efficency of say (throwing a figure out there) 90dB 1w/1m in order to hear it clearly you will have to reach at least 115dB over all in the sonic spectrum, the noise of that tractor is sort of like whitenoise, it cancels out most frequincies.
25dB translates to what? 4-5,000w electrical energy. for the sub, of course, mids/highs are much more efficent and your ears are much more sensitive to them, however, you are alreayd samageing your hearing by riding on a tractor, add the solid 105dB and the 115dB peaks from the music...murder if you do it often, of course, i have nothing to say because i listen to my stereo with 115dB peaks all the time in my room and otherpeople louder in their vehicles, but that is music, and you are throwing that along with the distorted tractor noise which has no harmony...which is wosre for your ears. :smash:
try it, but dont expect great results...i dont even know of many subs that can reach thoes levels with cones that can get wet...maybe a pair of thoes esanti 12's. they are going for 150 + shipping right now on SIN and going fast, the last batch EVER.
and now that i think of it, you will probably want to go sealed to protect any crap form getting inside the enclsore...so you are loosing 3-6dB eficncy right there. which means 2-4 times more power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.