Old Speakerlab 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old Speakerlab 15"

Hello;
I have an older Speakerlab 15" driver.
On searching the web this is the only info that I could find on it:

Speakerlab W1508s 15" woofer
8 ohm
fs 18.8
vas 31.9
re 6.6
qms 1.92
qes .273
qts .239
power 30-100w
magnet 54oz ceramic 5
voice coil 2" 2 layer

I do not think the numbers are correct, also I am not sure of the units for Vas.

What I want to do is buils a sub-box for this driver.
We have two futons that leave a dead space in the corner.
The space is 40"x40", height could be up to 48" or so.
I thought of using a sonotube, but would rather have a prettier down firing box.
We have Siamee cats and a carpeted sonotube would not last long.

(It was in an S-7 Klipsch clone until we had to dissasemble it to remove a stuck kitten).

Thanks for any info.

Mick M

(yam_bike@yahoo.com)

I had that driver years ago, mated to a 511B/802 mid horn, in a biamped 6th order alignment. This was my first experience with a 6th order box (not bandpass). It was advertised by speakerlab, and they also sold a pc board for the eq circuit, which I purchased. It worked very well, and I have been a 6th order fan ever since. If I remember correctly, it was about a 6 ft3 box, tuned to 28Hz. You can still get pc boards for the 6th order alignment from HEL. Also, info on 6th order alignments. Go here and see the article on Alighnment Calculations for details:

http://www.highefficiencyloudspeakers.com/Downloads.html

Vas - 3 little pigs?

Hello;
thanks for the reply and the link - lots of great stuff there.

I compared the specs that I found with lots of other 15" speakers.
It seems that the value for Vas is too small (31.9).
Should this be 319 liters3 ? not 31.9 liters3

31.9 ft3 = 29636.06976 liters3 - Waay too big.

31.9 liters3 = 3.433687 ft3 - seems to be too small
319 liters = 343.368742 ft3 - this seems closer to all the other speakers.

I have no idea what Xmax would be.

Thanks
Mick M

I dont remember what Vas was for that driver, just that it needed about 6ft3 tuned to 28Hz for a 6th order alignment. It worked very well. Xmax was typical for a driver like that, maybe 5mm or so. Certainly enough for typical home listening. Typical excursions were less than 3-4mm p-p at a high listening level. The 6th order eq ckt. has a built in subsonic filter (2nd order below fb) which kept record warp from overdriving the cone (this was in pre-CD days). In my opinion, all vented alignments should have one.

Re: Vas - 3 little pigs?

Mick M said:

31.9 ft3 = 29636.06976 liters3 - Waay too big.

31.9 liters3 = 3.433687 ft3 - seems to be too small
319 liters = 343.368742 ft3 - this seems closer to all the other speakers.

You need to recheck your math. And, the use of 3 to designate a cubic measurement cannot be applied to liters since liters is already a volume measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.