How does one sim a vented back chamber horn whose chamber vents into the throat ?

such as with this case?

wSd2SL2.jpg

Dear David -

I've earned a solid "F" as do not know how to properly input what's needed for a simple throat ported front loaded horn (TH1 w. hornresp)

A step by step explanation how to do it correctly for 1 segment, then the other # of segments hornresp can handle would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes from your lowest and most unworthy student

Freddy

Attachments

• NOVAK THROAT PORT PATENT.gif
    NOVAK THROAT PORT PATENT.gif
    20 KB · Views: 140
A step by step explanation how to do it correctly for 1 segment, then the other # of segments hornresp can handle would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Freddy,

Just because it is convenient to do so, specify segments 1 and 2 as cylinders, each with a cross-sectional area equal to that of the throat of segment 3. Make the axial lengths of segments 1 and 2 very small, so that as far as the simulation is concerned, in effect the segments don't exist (for this reason the actual cross-sectional area values used are not critical). Specify the horn itself using segments 3 and 4.

Attachment 1 shows the standard model for the system. Attachment 2 shows a "modified" system model with segments 1 and 2 (H1 and H2) effectively removed by making their lengths very small. Notice how the outputs from the driver D and rear chamber port tube RP now both feed into the throat end of H3 (segment 3). The red box in Attachment 3 is the rear chamber RC, specified using Vrc and Lrc, and the green portions are the rear chamber port tube, specified using Ap and Lpt.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to seek further clarification if required.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    46 KB · Views: 67
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Dear David -

I've earned a solid "F" as do not know how to properly input what's needed for a simple throat ported front loaded horn (TH1 w. hornresp)

Best wishes from your lowest and most unworthy student

Freddy

You always have the cool pics. Is that outta Harry Olson’s half a dozen or so texts?

I'm a zero at best - but its cool to be able to sim that one style. At age 71 I need a new "Karlson" more than horns :D

here's a stab - might have goofed in a big way (? didn't have a printer or ruler so held graph paper up the the screen to figure stuff) - its huge

dunno if its even ballpark - could not get the spec of the supposed 12 inch speaker

Thanks David for the detailed explanation.

(Is this arrangement something Brian Steele could put out as a worksheet?)

https://i.imgur.com/8L0PvD1.jpg

Last edited:
just putting in numbers - does this thing look "useful" ? I'm not sure how it would be built even as a rectangular box. Its pretty big.

Baffle = 18.5" by 22.5" and a mouth area like PWK's La Scala

Attachments

• SHORT K33 EQUALIZED THROAT VENTED HORN 0.5 PI.jpg
    SHORT K33 EQUALIZED THROAT VENTED HORN 0.5 PI.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 67