Dayton Audio DCS205-4 Box sizing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm building a subwoofer for home cinema. I have fronts with nice low end (40-50 hz), so what I want to extend the bass to 25-30Hz.
This is budget diy project, so I've chosen the Dayton Audio DCS205-4 which is around 100USD here in Europe.

I'm plannig to have a 42l (1.48 cf) reflex box, with a 29Hz port tuning.

Will this work with a 100W rated chinese D amp around the 30hz range?

Thanks!

Attachments

• dcs205-4_data.PNG
    dcs205-4_data.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 173
  • dcs205-4.PNG
    dcs205-4.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 170
I'm familiar with that driver, having used in my "Boom Unit" build (see my website for more information). A 1.48 cu.ft. box for that driver seems a bit large, and 29 Hz tuning seems a bit low.

What size are your front speakers? If they can get down to 40 Hz with authority, you might want to consider a larger, more capable driver for subwoofer duty.

Thanks Brian!
Your Boom Unit is great!

Yes, it is intentionally little bit bigger and tuned to lower. The question is what happens if I do this. Will it go deeper, or it will sound worse?

I'm familiar with that driver, having used in my "Boom Unit" build (see my website for more information). A 1.48 cu.ft. box for that driver seems a bit large, and 29 Hz tuning seems a bit low.

What size are your front speakers? If they can get down to 40 Hz with authority, you might want to consider a larger, more capable driver for subwoofer duty.

FWIW, Hornresp says that you can get 100 dB down to 20 Hz out of that driver in a fairly large and lightly stuff TH (~150L) when driven by about 25W. Output is even if the box is in a corner. 150L is big, but you can make the box wide and thin, so it fits behind the stereo cabinet and doesn't really intrude into the room. I'm almost tempted to try building this myself to test to see if the sim is actually correct, seeing that I already have one of those drivers on hand :)

Attachments

• 2021-01-27.png
    2021-01-27.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 135
I think this is an answer to an other thread?

FWIW, Hornresp says that you can get 100 dB down to 20 Hz out of that driver in a fairly large and lightly stuff TH (~150L) when driven by about 25W. Output is even if the box is in a corner. 150L is big, but you can make the box wide and thin, so it fits behind the stereo cabinet and doesn't really intrude into the room. I'm almost tempted to try building this myself to test to see if the sim is actually correct, seeing that I already have one of those drivers on hand :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.