Unique single purpose SFX woofer box design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm looking to design a woofer enclosure for an arcade cabinet. In japan, it was a sit-down with 4 ~8" woofers under the seat they referred to as "body sonic", everywhere else is an upright with no woofers. I recently rebuilt one that was totaled due to water damage and want to wire in subwoofers.

So this is a very specific purpose - they do one thing - rumble when the player dies, or a boss appears on screen. They will never play music, they don't need to be tight, they don't need flat frequency response, they just need to be loud and shaky for that specific rumble sound.

I've got this 40W amp chip on a board pulled from a sit down driving game
I've got these standard cheap arcade 8" woofers, which I've wired in series to reduce power.
Here is the game cab
The frequency of the rumble I got from an FFT is 75-150hz.
I have 2 areas measuring 7" x 21" x 11" that I could ideally use for each speaker.

Based on some preliminary research, it sounds like a 6th order bandpass box fits this use case.

I understand there are some apps that will spit out some dimensions for such an enclosure, but I am not familiar enough to know what to do from here. What do you think? Thanks!

Interesting project! (I'm collecting bits for a mame defender cabinet project, just missing the marquee..)

Have you considered a 'bass shaker' ? They were pretty cheap last time I looked and will give you that shakiness without having to play really loud.

WinISD is a pretty easy to use free box calculator. I doubt you'd need all 4 8" drivers in a sixth order BP for such a high tuning. You'll need the drivers TS parameters to enter into winISD.

Cheers,
Rob.

Last edited:
Nice, good to hear about the Defender! I would think you'll eventually be able to score an original marquee from eBay but if not, it's easy to repro.

A bass shaker is a good idea I hadn't thought of. Yes indeed, they are in "arcade" level cheapness, even digikey sells them and that's my go-to for arcade parts. I will consider this as a bonus, but I want to get the main woofer sound proper first.

Yeah, I have 4 of these drivers, but I thought 2 might be enough. I am noticing the power of the amp is really close to the peak power of 2 speakers, I might try wiring 4 of them together to bring it down to 10W each. But I was also actually hoping that a box could ease the strain a bit. So I'm not sure if I want 2 or 4, it's whatever works.

I've been digging for the data sheet on these MG 8010HC's today, I could have sworn I found one with frequency charts a couple months ago, but I can't seem to find it now. I assume that has what I need for TS? If I can't find them, what do I do, guess?

GM

Joined 2003
Google has completely redone its search function, so a lot of useful info has 'vanished'. That said, would be surprised if specs/response plot were ever on-line.

Just looking at them, Radio Shack use to sell an identical looking one for PA, so its specs were for open back, ceiling mount, arcade machines, etc., i.e. just mount them; otherwise best to measure them all, then average for WinISD or similar: Read Research - Articles - Measuring Thiele-Small Parameters - Page 3

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.