Class D subwoofer amp causing buzzing in speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure which forum to put this in since it involves tubes, class d and subwoofer. I asked it before in tubes so I thought I'd see if anyone else encountered it here.

When I use a subwoofer with a class D amp connected to my tube amp speaker outputs the sub amp feeds a slight buzzing sound back into my main speakers. It does it with the tube amp off and subwoofer amp on or in standby.

I've had it happen with two different class D sub amps but not with two A/B sub amps. I prefer the class D amp but not with the buzzing.

I thought running the connection through a dayton dsp-LF with a speaker level to line level converter might stop it but it did not.

The tube amp and the subwoofer as well as the dsp-LF are plugged into the same outlet strip.

Anyone else run into this? Suggestions?

A couple possibilities:
1)If your outlet strip contains a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor, surge protector), it may have gone bad, shunting some voltage to ground. That voltage may result in noise in sensitive circuits.

2) The tube amp output transformer may be picking up "hash" from the class D switching power supply- try physically moving the class D amp further away to see if that is the problem. If it is the problem, a steel isolation plate between the amps, or rotation of one amp may still allow the amps to be used near each other.

3) If the problem is a ground loop, transformer isolating the tube amp speaker outputs from the sub amp inputs may correct it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.