2 x 4" passive sub box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

First post here.

By mistake, I have ended up with two x 4-inch Tectonic sub drivers.

I don't want them to go to waste, so I was thinking of building a box in which to fit them.

I have a B&W DB2 in my stereo system and wanted to build a box to place the drivers in a similar orientation, i.e on opposite sides.

This will be a passive system driven by an external amp.

I am 3D printing a pair of spiral speakers to use a 4" full-range and this sub cold compliment these.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

caleb

Last edited:
Not looking to move the earth, just to add some extra bass to my spiral speakers which will have a 4" "full-range" driver.

You can see these if you search for spiral speakers on the web.

I have printed one speaker so far (18 hours per speaker), and it is sounding great.

I am driving all these with a Dayton audio DTA2.

This has 50 watts left and right and 100 watts for the sub with a variable crossover.

Not sure what you mean by WINisd.

Thanks for your interest and help.

You can see these if you search for spiral speakers on the web.

Which one of the thousands of design out there do you mean? If you want quick response, you'd better give a lot of upfront information. If people need to first mount a search for the things you indicate, quite often they won't bother. On the other hand, if you spoon feed the info, it will get people more interested, shows that you actually made an effort and if they can help you with little effort, more and faster responses are virtually guaranteed. Please note that this is your project, not ours.

Not sure what you mean by WINisd.

I'd give you your own advice.. search for it, it's really hard to miss.

In any case, you still haven't told us which Tectonic drivers you have?

I'll have a guess...

You have TEBM65C20F drivers, 4 or 8 ohm versions. Those are the only ones that the manufacturer lists in their site.

Make a 10 liter box, tune it to 55 Hz with a 2" port, length about 6".

Attachments

• tec.PNG
    tec.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 106
I think if you have the possibility to run some DSP on these, you could go for like 2 l tuned for 100 Hz, and then run some psychoacoustic bass enhancement algorithm, like the SigmaStudio Superbass (AD) or the more commercial MaxBass, based on "Missing
fundamental effect"
https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~marora/files/papers/13868.pdf
.... this is how all these smaller BT speakers get to sound like they have a lot of low end bass

Getting these speakers to play some real sub woofer like bass will be a waste of time I think.

I'll have a guess...

You have TEBM65C20F drivers, 4 or 8 ohm versions. Those are the only ones that the manufacturer lists in their site.

Make a 10 liter box, tune it to 55 Hz with a 2" port, length about 6".

Thank you so much Nenola.

At last, a post that makes sense and is very helpful.

Rather than that from 4real which is less than useless.

Already mocked up a trial box using scrap MDF, but without the port.

215x215x215mm and sounds very acceptable.

Now to make a decent box, and get the port installed when our shops are open again.

Regards.

I think if you have the possibility to run some DSP on these, you could go for like 2 l tuned for 100 Hz, and then run some psychoacoustic bass enhancement algorithm, like the SigmaStudio Superbass (AD) or the more commercial MaxBass, based on "Missing
fundamental effect"
https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~marora/files/papers/13868.pdf
.... this is how all these smaller BT speakers get to sound like they have a lot of low end bass

Getting these speakers to play some real subwoofer like bass will be a waste of time I think.

No idea what you are talking about, all that technical ********.

Read Nenola's post if you want to see how a CONSTRUCTIVE easy to understand post should be.

Anyway now I have this advice I leave you imprisisoned

Are you in lockdown or are they just closed for the weekend? If you don't want to wait, you can also make a slot port if you have enough material. The downside is, that it will make the box a bit bigger.

Hello Nenola,

Thanks again for your very constructive post.

Yes, I am in Cape Town, and we are under lockdown until the 16th of April, or maybe longer:mad:

All factories and shops are closed except for essentials like food or medicine.

We cannot even take a walk outside our house, nor can we walk our dogs.

I have two Ridgebacks, and they do miss their "walkies".

The monkeys in government also decided that no tobacco sales, nor alcohol sales would be allowed during the lockdown, so just to make your life a bit more miserable.

The upside is that there appear to be very few deaths so far, but when this virus gets into the townships, it will spread very quickly as they do not have sufficient services for washing hands, etc; and basic hygiene is sadly missing.

Enough of our woes here - I am in no hurry for this sub to be finished in a professional way.

My "quick build" even without the port shows it will work a treat, thanks to your valued input, and when we are released fro our "prisons", I will get all items needed.

By the way, these are the speakers that I am 3D printing.

Redirect Notice

They will have a 4" Audio labs DQ40TZF-02 full-range driver, so should pair well with my small sub.

Regards, and keep safe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.