"SB acoustics sb34nrx75-16" new driver designed specifically for open baffles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"SB acoustics sb34nrx75-16" new driver designed specifically for open baffles?

A few hours after sending questions on this forum about fullrange speaker candidates suitable for open baffle systems, and very pleased with Dave's reply,

I found another open baffle candidate on the website of a professional speaker manufacturer who had long known in foreign countries.

SB Acoustics is a subsidiary of "SINAR BAJA ELECTRIC Indonesia" together with Danish, a Danish citizen, reportedly is the best former designer in Scan Speak. he is Frank Nielsen, I don't know him, I don't know much.

Recently they have included a list of new drivers claimed to have been designed specifically for the open baffle system on their website ,.

My question is; is there anyone on this forum who uses and opens an open baffle with this driver? Is this driver eligible to be filled in a shopping list or not? I hope to get a pleasant answer from this forum ,. :) Thank you..

SB Acoustics :: 12” SB34NRX75-16

I haven't used this particular driver, but SB Acoustics has a good reputation. This driver has a relatively high Qts = 0.66, so I think they intend it to be a woofer in an open baffle system. Because the impedance is 16 Ohms, I assume they want you to use 2 or 4 of them in parallel.

There is a resonance at 675Hz that causes a dip and peak in the frequency response between about 500-750Hz. This will be difficult to correct. Also, Le is somewhat high. I would suggest using it below 400-500 Hz only.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Open baffel speaker are all about placing them in a room. If you can not place them in the open space, the will not work. So no putting them near a wall or in a corner. If you do not have a large living room, where the speaker can be moved around until you find the best spot. don´t waste your time and money.
Open baffel speaker should have a Qtc of 0.6-0,9 otherwise you will not have bass and need a sub woofer. So if they do not work in an open baffel for you, you can not put them in a cabinet instead, like closed or vented, as they will produce only unpleasant, boomy, imprecise bass. They are a one way street.

So, check your listening room first!

Last edited:
I did an open baffle experiment with a pair of 4 inch full range audio labs speakers with a fairly narrow baffle width, 30x40 baffles I think it's enough for an experiment in my 4x6 room, I'm quite satisfied with the results even though the bass extension is still weak.

A few hours after sending questions on this forum about fullrange speaker candidates suitable for open baffle systems, and very pleased with Dave's reply,
I found another open baffle candidate on the website of a professional speaker manufacturer who had long known in foreign countries.
SB Acoustics is a subsidiary of "SINAR BAJA ELECTRIC Indonesia" together with Danish, a Danish citizen, reportedly is the best former designer in Scan Speak. he is Frank Nielsen, I don't know him, I don't know much.
Recently they have included a list of new drivers claimed to have been designed specifically for the open baffle system on their website ,.
My question is; is there anyone on this forum who uses and opens an open baffle with this driver? Is this driver eligible to be filled in a shopping list or not? I hope to get a pleasant answer from this forum ,. :) Thank you..
SB Acoustics :: 12” SB34NRX75-16

there is another version of this type of driver "Sb34nrx75-6" which has more frequency response, slightly better than sb34nrx75-16, replacing qts cheaper than 0.40. is this driver suitable for open baffles like his brother .. ??
12" SB34NRX75-6 :: SB Acoustics

Hello,
You should pick the 12in SB34NRX75-16 (recommended by SB for your application) over any exotic or esoteric choice because this one is designed for an OB application.
The 12in 12" SB34NRX75-6 is not a good choice for an open baffle because of his too high Cms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.