Simple question for experts - Dual Denovo Anarchy woofer -vented

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a hifimediy T3 mono amplifier with a Meanwell single output LRS-200-48 power supply.

The amplifier is rated: 150W@8ohm and 300W@4ohm.

I want to build a subwoofer using two Denovo Anarchy 7" 4ohm woofer.
Anarchy 7 inch woofer by Denovo Audio

The idea is to wire them in series, each woofer in a separate vented enclosure, mounted one over the other, powered by only the mono amplifier.

Do you think it's recommended? Any thing to consider? Better to go with a 4ohm driver?

I modeled it WinISD like this to get an aprrox. performance chart:
-. vented enclosure with 1 driver
-. filtered static gain +3db

Thank in advance!

Yes you can do that. nothing will get destroyed. But it is far from optimum.

Two loudspeakers in series usualy is no good idea for undisputed reasons. Further you will only see 75 watts of the 150W rating at each woofer. The disadvantages, translated into subwoofer output will usually be a non dynamic, stressed sound.
At 45$ a piece I would stongly advice you to buy one more amp and connect it to the SMPS. That way, depending on the load capacitor in the PS you will have 300watt at each driver for short burst´s. The result should be a effortless bass from the sub. Of course, maximum RMS will be limited to the SMPS, But music is not RMS. If you put an additional 4700uF/ 63V capacitor at the 48V power input of each amp (ask if you do not exactly know how to), you sure can drive the woofers to their limit with "normal" music.
There is often some confusion about "how much power does this driver need-"
In most cases, an amp with more power than the driver can take long therm, will sound better.

Another camel are to 8 ohm speaker in parallel. This works well and would give each speaker half of the 4 ohm power the amp deliveres.

Don´t underestimate the way chassis are connected, it will probably be the difference between a sub and a very good sub. Small diameter, long stroke chassis as your 7" are power hungry and need good controll. If you boost or "Linkwitz transform" such constructions, power demand instandly multiplyes.

Maybe you try one amp first and two amps later and report the difference?

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a hifimediy T3 mono amplifier with a Meanwell single output LRS-200-48 power supply.

The idea is to wire them in series, each woofer in a separate vented enclosure, mounted one over the other, powered by only the mono amplifier.

Do you think it's recommended? Any thing to consider? Better to go with a 4ohm driver?

Thank in advance!
This will work just fine.

You will have 0dB net SPL gain from a series connection. This is because the +3dB you get from having two drivers is offset by the -3dB that will happen when you put them in series and drive them from the same amp that you would use drive a single one. If instead you had more of these amps, such that you could connect a separate amp to each driver, you would then get the net +3dB gain predicted by WinISD, which is not wrong, but likely you did not tell it what voltage or power was actually being applied to each driver for the series connection. I have myself been misled by modeling (using UniBox) of series connections in the past until I realized that I should really tell the modeling program that I have two drivers and half the power. At least in Unibox, the program is applying that amount of power to EACH driver instead to the series network, which doesn't seem intuitive but that seems to be how it is set up.

Not sure why you want to use two separate enclosures, but that will be fine as long as you make them identical in volume and tuning.

Hi,

Thank in advance!

Hi mga2009,

Anarchy-708 is out of Stock and T/S is given but the 4 Ohm Version lacks of essential Data. Please Post the T/S Data for Denovo Anarchy-704 as you already been using in WinISD.

b:)

Thank you all for your replies.

It seems that the best is to get another amplifier module, and maybe change my project... which was:

Build 2x Volt 6 for surround duty, but because I have a ver small room where I cant drill walls for hanging speakers (rented home), I will build a stand for each.

Each stand would be the box for a dual anarchy woofers, tuned around 40hz to "help" my front sealed subwoofers.

For what I have read, it seems that mixing different subwoofers (and mixing sealed with ported), is just asking for trouble, and it would be vey difficult to integrate, so my idea it´s a no go.

Regarding the Anarchy 4ohm winisd specs, I will recheck, maybe I am using the 8ohm file.

Thank you!

According to TT forum and Pete B., these would be the numbers for the Exodus 4ohm:

After Break in:
Pd 5.0" 12.7 cm
Fs 47.0 Hz 45.2
Vas 11.0 liters 11.5
Qe .415 .397
Qm 5.55 4.95
Qts .386 .368
Mms 23.5 grams 24.3
no .264 % .258
SPLref 86.2 dB 86.1 dB
Bl 7.65 T-m 7.80
Cms .487 mm/N .511
Zpeak 44.8 ohms 49.5
Zmin 4.71 4.86
Z1K 7.25 7.15
Lvc1K .58 mH .56
Z3K 12.5
Lvc3K .47 mH
Z10K 27.3
Lvc10K .344 mH
Delta M 11.3 grams
Fshift -18%

Before Break in:
RDC = 3.53 ohms HP Meter

Pd 5.0" 12.7 cm
Fs 44.2
Vas 11.3 liters
Qe .387
Qm 5.70
Qts .363
Mms 25.8 grams
no .243 %
SPLref 85.8 dB
Bl 8.09 T-m
Cms .501 mm/N
Zpeak 55.7 ohms
Zmin 4.93
Z1K 7.27
Lvc1K .58 mH
Z10K 27.8
Lvc10K .350 mH
Delta M 11.3 grams
Fshift -16%

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.