Custom Sub build need input for location idea...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of building a Dayton UM18 based sub in my living room nook. Its about 24" x24" x 24" which yields good volume, thinking a sealed enclosure. My idea is to build the box to fit inside that niche and screw it into the studs behind the drywall to minimize vibrations. To assist in that i was going to dynamat (or some other vibration dampening material) the drywall where it will come into contact with the enclosure...

Thoughts?

Is this a dumb idea?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
<---- Picture of the nook/niche

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Better overall to use opposed dual drivers to self cancel [preferably mounted in tandem with one wired reverse phase], then spikes or the proper durometer hardness isolation pads.

Otherwise, coupled to the foundation; I've a suspended floor/concrete block foundation and literally had the ceiling and its contents 'rain' down on us during a depth charge scene in the U-571 movie. Apparently my old stick built, clapboard sided house has a ~14 Hz Fs.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.