Experience with input transformer to remove hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since recently I use 2 MiniDSP plate amps in bridge mode for my 2 subwoofers. There is a very slight hum coming from them which I think is because of a little difference in earth voltages in my system

When I keep the 2.5 meters of interconnect in the plate amp but disconnect from the pre amp the hum disappears completely

I think a pair of input transformers will help to remove the issue by disconnecting earth at the input side. The plate amps use a 3 point (earthed) power connection

Now I have 2 questions:
1. Do you think this indeed will be the case?
2. Do you have experience with a particular model / brand (currently my options as I see are Jensen JT-112P-2HPC, Lundahl do not know which one, Sowter do not know which one)

(the plate amps are very good by the way, programmable by network cable)

The problem is a transformer is not good at inducing with low frequencies, most are for 100Hz and more.
There should be, in the PA world that uses power from different phases off the mains, only one ground.
If the hum is at mains frequency, then there is a 'loop'.
Correct the loop, only if there is a good electrical ground to the main amplifier.
Can you supply a balanced signal to the sub amplifier? If so that will correct your issue.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
1)Yes a transformer could help to remove ground loop. This the main reason to use them in proaudio gear ( mic preamp, compressor, eq, desks,....).
2) I've got experience with sowter 3575, cinemag cmli 15/15b2, lundahl 1540, 1545 and 7902, jensen jt11, carnhill vtb.
All are good products imho, some better in specific case but overall they are in same category ( best you could find and so not cheap as expected for top quality products).
I don't know the jensen 112p- 2hpc, but you can expect them to be quite good as jensen are amongst the better you can find.
What is out impedance of your preamp and input impedance of your plate amps?
Is your preamp single ended or balanced?

Last edited:
It is caused by a ground loop between the preamp and plate amp. Check the polarity of the outlet - it may be wired backwards. You can get a polarity checker at Home Depot for about $5. This is one of the first things you may want to check. Do you know the acronym KISS?

Yes thanks I have been experimenting with the polarity and it indeed makes a difference. All in all there is still a slight hum. When the room is really quiet and I turn on the subs I get a little restless because you can slightly hear a very low sound. When the music plays it is of no difference. May be I will try trafos one day to see if this can remove the last bit of hum but this is a costly and probably in the end unneeded solution

Also I think my pre-amp is probably is the source / the reason for the ground loop. I need to build a new one

The problem is a transformer is not good at inducing with low frequencies, most are for 100Hz and more.
There should be, in the PA world that uses power from different phases off the mains, only one ground....
DATA

I had some hum issues with one home system. On eBay, bought a few stereo Pyramid transformers (prolly meant for cars) which had all the right RCA connectors, about $8, if I recall.

Hum disappeared after installation.

REW says their output droops just a little bit below 20 Hz, as I recall. Otherwise, no HD or other shortcomings. Maybe the $120 units are better.

If I knew how to make the search function here work better, I might be able to find my previous relevant posts.

B.

Last edited:
Yes thanks I have been experimenting with the polarity and it indeed makes a difference. All in all there is still a slight hum. When the room is really quiet and I turn on the subs I get a little restless because you can slightly hear a very low sound. When the music plays it is of no difference. May be I will try trafos one day to see if this can remove the last bit of hum but this is a costly and probably in the end unneeded solution

Also I think my pre-amp is probably is the source / the reason for the ground loop. I need to build a new one

system_ground_layout_options - My Photo Gallery

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.