8th order BP bandwidth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had an old Bose AM7 Series II 8th order BP bass module by me a few weeks ago, and I performed some FR measurements. I suspect that the FR is affected a bit by the age and condition of the bass drivers, but still, it looks like a pretty wide passband for a bandpass system. Has anyone here built an 8th order BP system, and if so, were you able to achieve a similar wide bandwidth?

Of course the wide bandwidth does not come without a penalty - GD for the module peaked at 23ms at around 53 Hz, but still...

Attachments

• 20190316-AM7 FR.png
    20190316-AM7 FR.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 146

GM

Joined 2003
Yes, in the form of building a Karlson K15 [2+ octaves], though had no clue how it worked as the pictorial description at the time was nonsensical to me and wasn't till Freddy showed me many decades later PWK's response to him that it became obvious.

GM

not built one but interested - would you say that's a good two octaves ? my old series BP from years ago with 1.2 CF per chamber did pretty well and was used passively to augment some Control I mini. Outdoors and a meter or so away, the graph looked more :"sway backed" than this near port graph

n5gC26v.jpg

GM - if front chamber depth of K15 were reduced , the how around 250 would probably look more like like
that of my K18. Karlson used a front deflecting shelf in K15 which helped but didn't put that feature into
any of his small "couplers"

1qXwfSW.jpg

here's a beat K15 with the 1954 40.5 sq.in. port outdoors vs a reflex the size of its back chamber - both ~
on cabinet center axis. K15 on sine loaded well to 37Hz (why? - its tuned more like 47)

I imagine PWK used a K33 for the graph of his K15. K33 is an anemic sounding
driver in K15 vs an Altec 421. K33 has a lot of xmax - not needed for K15

m8ktJLe.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.