enough power to drive sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a subwoofer plate amp (acoustic audio PSW8) that I'd like to use with a 10'' or 12'' sub in a sealed box. Amp specs are 150 RMS and 300 peak.

I found a few subs with power ratings between 80-120 Watts within my budget.

I have some leftover plywood and hardware from my last project so this is just something I'd like to try out. I've always preferred the sound of a sealed sub. I'd like some opinions on whether this will work or not. Using an amp that powered an 8" ported sub and changing it to a 10'' or 12'' inch sealed seems WAY underpowered......?

However, I only ran the 8'' at about 75% power anyway and was happy with SPL. I listen to music at casual listening level and use the sub to fill in the lows, not rattle the walls.

Opinions please.

Using an amp that powered an 8" ported sub and changing it to a 10'' or 12'' inch sealed seems WAY underpowered......?
An amplifier with 150 watts RMS/300 peak has enough power to burn the voice coil of a speaker rated at only 80-120 watts.

A loudspeaker can not be "underpowered", though it may not be powered to it's full potential. A "casual listening level" could easily require less than a watt, leaving over 20 dB of headroom available using your present amp.

Generally speaking, more power for a given level of sound is required for smaller speakers, so upgrading to a larger diameter driver may increase the level overall from what you had been using, even accounting for the difference between ported and sealed.

Generally speaking, more power for a given level of sound is required for smaller speakers, so upgrading to a larger diameter driver may increase the level overall from what you had been using, even accounting for the difference between ported and sealed.

excellent, looks like I'll go ahead with the project.

additionally, can someone tell me if I should go with an 8 ohm or 4 ohm for that amp? most are DVC.

I did find one at 250 watt RMS at 4 ohm.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.