Considering a DIY subwoofer build for home theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the mounting depth of those 2 8's, I think you can find 12's with the same depth. I have shallow mount 15's in my F150 that have less mounting depth than those 8's.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You are describing the Spud. It has already been cloned, repeatedly. Typically with lower Qts drivers than those.

Why reinvent it?

I'd just copy the parts and path lengths of an existing Spud clone.
Thanks for the tip. Lots of great info to be found when googling the Spud - my learning continues.

A couple things:

First, that cabinet isn't quite the right format. I can achieve the same path length but want something lower and wider.

Second, all the Spud-clone threads I've seen, people spend a bunch of time fiddling in Hornresp before cutting anything, which is the same thing I'd be doing with a custom design.

I guess what I'm saying is that I do want to follow your advice of copying path length and parts, but I would prefer to "reinvent" the configuration to end up with something shaped differently.

Now if I could only find a reasonably-priced source for the W8-740P in Canada...

Based on what I've been reading, it seems that for tapped horn use I want a driver with (relatively) low resonant frequency and large Vas. For example:

Pyramid - PW877X - On the Road - Vehicle Subwoofers

or

https://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-select/55-2421/8-high-excursion-woofer-120w-rms/dp/88C7835

Some other options such as Tang Band aren't readily available here in Canada - at least not at a reasonable price - and to be honest it's more fun for me to extract stunning results from cheap drivers.

Assuming I start with the basic idea of the "Spud" but unfold it so its wider and shorter, I'm hoping I can build something with decent extension down to 25-35Hz, in a package roughly 12"x12"x72" external dimensions.

In an interesting turn of events, I just had somebody give me - for free - a Polkaudio 12" downfiring powered subwoofer. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it's pretty likely my custom sub build will be deferred for a while, possibly indefinitely.

I'm sure at some point, my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll start exploring tapped horn designs again.

Polkaudio 12" downfiring powered subwoofer. [...] it's pretty likely my custom sub build will be deferred for a while, possibly indefinitely.

Good result!

I'm sure at some point, my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll start exploring tapped horn designs again.

See how it goes. Let your impressions of the Polk sub guide any upgrade plans.

e.g. if you find that the Polk is loud and clean enough, the only drawback being uneven room response, then adding several small subs might be a better option than one relatively big tapped horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.