Eminence High Excursion 8" Factory open baffle sub replacement? (Mobile Audio)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eminence 8" High Excursion DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm Per Coil

Hi I'm wondering if this subwoofer would be suitable to run in place of the factory open baffle 8" sub in my Honda's rear dash? Factory is something like 40 watts.

I'm not looking to go to bass competitions or anything lol, I'm an adult. I know a lot of mobile audio questions on these forums get the "mobile audio speaker" response or that it's not big enough.

I'm looking to find out if specs wise this speaker will work in an open baffle (infinite?)setup

The Eminence model has a lot of motor force for a reasonably priced 8 , but also a terribly high voicecoil inductance (nearly 1mh per ohm of voicecoil resistance) .......

I realize this is going a bit off topic here but it would be great if Eminence could resurrect their old HL10 driver series which had extraordinary motor force and high excursion while still managing to keep the voicecoil inductance (Le) at less than half a mH per ohm ...... They had an incredible achievement there in my opinion :) ....

The BL2^Re= 90.5 on the HL10 :yikes: (extremely high for a 10)

I would love to see them come out with a HL10-esque lineup with scaling motors for 8" through 18" cones , such a thing could really put Eminence solidly back on top over the other brands ..

I hope someone from Eminence sees this message ;)

I thought I wanted low Fs and high xmax both of which are higher on the eminence sub? Also I only want to replace the factory sub
If you insist on 8" subwoofer, than Peerless 830667 is better option:
Peerless by Tymphany 830667 8" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer
Although Peerless 830667 has slightly less Xmax (8.41 mm) than Eminence (11.9 mm), it has slightly bigger cone area (213.8 cm2 vs 188.5 cm2). Total displacement volume (cone area times Xmax) is what really counts.
Peerless also has higher sensitivity, it is louder with the same amplifier than Eminence.

Tang Band 740 is more suited for closed or vented (or PR) box, not infinite baffle.

Last edited:
Jeremy, I have primarily been working with resonant designs so I am no expert on OB systems for sure, but from what i have read about them i was under the impression that higher Qts values are preferable for OB, (perhaps that is why Sonce recommended higher Qts in an earlier post) ...... Maybe an OB fan could chime in on this to confirm that this applies to your situation ....

The Eminence 8 that you originally posted about and the Tang Band 740 look like they were intended for use with Horn Loading or compact vented (Bass Reflex) cabinets, (and maybe some bandpass cabinets, or other quarter wave designs could be made to work with those) ...

The Peerless that Sonce recommended has a considerably higher Qes & Qts value ........

Some of the Car Audio brands produce subs with very high Qts values and tight suspensions ...

Last edited:
If you insist on 8" subwoofer, than Peerless 830667 is better option:
Peerless by Tymphany 830667 8" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer
Although Peerless 830667 has slightly less Xmax (8.41 mm) than Eminence (11.9 mm), it has slightly bigger cone area (213.8 cm2 vs 188.5 cm2). Total displacement volume (cone area times Xmax) is what really counts.
Peerless also has higher sensitivity, it is louder with the same amplifier than Eminence.

Tang Band 740 is more suited for closed or vented (or PR) box, not infinite baffle.

Well it's not that I am insisting on an 8" it's that there is a hole for an 8" in the car... I'll take a look at it later and see if a 10" is possible without major modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.