Corner boost need clarification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand that each surface will gain bass by 3dB so placing it in corner gives us 9dB boost, but at which frequency?
I mean, if it is applied equaly on let's say range 20-80Hz and the subwofer is -6db @30Hz wouldn't the gain on the amp have the same effect (in case there's) enough powee head room)?

Each infinitely rigid, infinitely large solid boundary will add +6 db at all frequencies if the driver is flush mounted (which isn't actually possible if you have 2 or 3 boundaries, the driver can't be flush mounted into the actual junction point).

If the boundary is not infinitely rigid you will get less than the perfect 6 db reflection.

If the boundary is not sufficiently large and properly shaped you won't get the reflection at all frequencies. This is basically diffraction and it's the same for a baffle. Frequencies that are small enough will get reflected off the boundary and won't wrap around it so those frequencies will get the full +6 db (or whatever db you get from your non infinitely rigid boundary). Frequencies that are much larger than the boundary will wrap around it and won't reflect forward so you get less than the max reflection spl.
You can download a baffle diffraction calculator and it will graph frequency response based on a boundary size and shape. I recommend Bagby's Diffraction simulator.

If the sound source is not flush mounted you will get a reflection null based on distance from sound source to boundary. This is the allison effect.
Again, you can simulate this with Bagby's Diffraction simulator.

It all has to do with wavelengths and boundary sizes and distances to boundaries. You will get gain (forward reflection) at some frequencies based on the parameters of these three factors. And it can all be simulated.

If the sound source is not flush mounted you will get a reflection null based on distance from sound source to boundary. This is the allison effect.
This partial cancellation, say a dip within power versus frequency response, happens, when aforementioned distance equals one third of sonic wavelength. Belo this frequency, boundary influence becomes constructive, say a boost, while above it it manifests itself as what i call reflections, say echos, and also still possibly chamber modes, say ringtones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.